Swimming and diving team members lend a hand at Food Salvage

With so many ways to get invloved with activities at the University, one senior has traveled away from campus in search of finding ways to help out the surrounding Burlington community.

As a captain of UVM’s swimming and diving team, and a dietetics, nutrition and food science major, Samantha Russo heard Food Salvage at the beginning of her sophomore year.

“I wanted to find a way to continue community service in college, so I attended a Volunteers in Action meeting to hear about some of the clubs on campus,” Russo said.

UVM Food Salvage is a program that provides a healthy meal to hungry people in the Burlington community every Sunday evening.

Since joining, Russo said that she has been selected as a program coordinator.

“The people make it worth it,” Russo said. “I appreciate the gratitude from the people we serve, and it’s rewarding to know that I’ve helped to brightened someone’s day.”

Russo said she has even gotten her team involved, working together to prepare, cook, serve the meals and then clean up after.

“Overall the team gained a sense of appreciation for everything that we have been blessed with as student athletes,” Russo said. “It is nice to be able to interact with community members that have helped make Burlington our home.”

Russo said she is also looking into community nutrition for a career.

“My dream job would be to become a registered dietitian in a school system, which would hopefully allow me to do some nutrition education as well,” she said.

But for now, Russo said she just wants to focus on finishing her undergraduate education, apply to graduate programs and see where that takes her.