The Cynic sports shorts of the week

Boss of the week: Paul Millsap

In Utah’s game against the Miami Heat on Nov. 9, Millsap scored 11 points — in the final 28 seconds. Millsap — who scored 46 in the game — helped rally his team from a 22-point deficit capped by his flurry of scoring in the final seconds. Millsap said of his performance, “I guess when it rains, it pours.”

Goat of the week: Eddy Curry

Put aside the fact that this guy is making $11.2 million this season to sit on the bench for the Knicks. A report surfaced last Wednesday claiming that Curry is being sued for $73,000 for failing to pay for auto repairs in 2007 and 2008. This report is surfacing in a year where Curry is being sued for over $600,000 for having sex with an underage girl. The Eddy Curry saga keeps getting worse; at least it will be over after this year.

Quote of the week

“We know that Childress doesn’t have our backs, so why should we have his? As much as I hate him, I will keep playing.”

-An unnamed player on the Vikings roster voicing his displeasure concerning head coach Brad Childress, according to Sean Jensen of the Chicago Sun Times.

Women’s soccer team names new head coach

Kristi Lefebvre has been named the head women’s soccer coach. Lefebvre, a native of Colchester Vt., had been serving as interim head coach after Kwame Lloyd resigned from his position on Oct. 26. Lefebvre recently completed her third season on the UVM women’s soccer coaching staff. She was promoted to the first assistant position in 2009 after joining the Catamount program as a part-time assistant in 2008.

Swimming and diving improves to 6-1

Senior Kate Weaver earned three victories as the Vermont swimming and diving team topped Maine and Keene State on Saturday in Keene, N.H. Kailey Gardner, Avery Pittman and Caitlin Dowd each won twice as Vermont improves to 6-1 on the season.