The Lineup: Wading through the weirder side of sports

There are more things going on in the sports world than just Tom Brady’s lack of ACL – or MCL. Look to The Lineup to catch the goofy stories that get lost in the headlines. This week’s theme: scandals.

Driving under the influence

NASCAR’s Ron Hornaday will not be penalized for his admitted use of testosterone. The testosterone and human growth hormone Hornaday received did not impact his performance or impair his judgment; rather, Hornaday maintains that a medical clinic prescribed the drugs to treat a hyperactive thyroid condition known as Graves’ disease.

The medical center Hornaday visited is one that is linked to the steroid-related scandals in Major League Baseball and the National Football League.

Seminoles, students and sanctions

New penalties, including budget cuts and athletic event forfeiture, are possibilities for Florida State University, which released documents dealing with the student-athlete academic cheating scandal uncovered last year.

The University documents argue against financial penalties because of the repercussions already enacted on people in question, including reduced scholarÂships, changes in staffing and mandatory makeup tests for students. There will be a hearing in early October in addition to the probation the University enacted on itself.

Donaghy to Davydenko

The ATP cleared Russian tennis star Nikolay Davydenko of alleged involvement in the betting investigation of his 2007 match with Vassallo Arguello, in which he withdrew due to a supposed foot injury. Gamblers placed bets on Arguello over Davydenko despite the 82 ranking difference, sparking suspicions almost immediately.

Players such as Mathieu Montcourt, Frantisek Cermak and Michal Mertinak have been banned, suspended or fined due to their involvement in match betting and fixing. The number of confirmed betting practices allowed for the ATP to cast a more critical eye on Davydenko and any possible match fixing of his own.

Staffing changes

Oakland Raiders coach Lane Kiffin’s job is once again in question as Raiders owner Al Davis openly made plans to release Kiffin following Monday’s game against the Kansas City Chiefs.

Kiffin has been under fire since the January rumors surfaced about his deÂsire to remove defensive coordinator Rob Ryan, reports that the Raiders dismissed, assuring the public that Ryan would continue as coordinator. Davis asked for Kiffin’s resignation after Kiffin was reportedly upset that he didn’t have complete control over his coaching staff.

Latest cup of O.J.

Twelve white jurors were selected to the most recent O.J. Simpson trial. Simpson and co-defendant Clarence Stewart are accused of 10 charges, including kidnapping and armed robbery of two sports memorabilia dealers in Las Vegas last year.

Many of the jurors disagree with Simpson’s 1995 murder acquittal, but claim they can be unbiased. The judge dismissed defense attorneys’ movement to discharge the entire jury and begin again. The trial is slated to open this week.

Young, but not reckless

Tennessee Titans coach Jeff Fisher denied some last week’s reports of quarterback Vince Young’s suicidal tendencies and overdramatized behavior cited in a police report. Fisher confirmed that Young was upset after his performance, injury and fan reactions in the win over the Jacksonville Jaguars, but denied that Young was actually suicidal.

Fisher described Young as having “hit a wall” with his emotions, but maintains that this will be turned into a positive experience for the quarterback. Kerry Collins will be the Titans’ starter as Young is sidelined because of his injury.