Three gym classes to take

Volleyball

Students can take volleyball for one credit and have fun while doing it.

Patricia McLaughlin started teaching at UVM 15 years ago and now teaches the course.

McLaughlin has taught other physical education classes such as archery, jogging and walking for fitness, tennis and other wellness classes.

The intermediate level class typically has 20-24 students and lasts 50 minutes, she said.

“My criteria is that they want to learn and that they aren’t afraid of activity, moving to the ball and being spiked at,” McLaughlin said.

The class is held on Tuesdays and Thursdays.

On Tuesdays, the class works on skills such as setting the ball, spiking and blocking according to McLaughlin.

On Thursdays, the students play volleyball for the entire class period.

Students work on strategy and implementing the skills they talked about during their meeting on Tuesday.

Rock Climbing

Stephen Michael Charest, teaches four different sections of the class, two on Mondays and two on Wednesdays

With four different sections to choose from, students who want to learn to rock climb have various times in which they can take the class.

The class sizes are small with about 12 students per class.

The class takes place at Petra Cliffs in Burlington, and students must provide their own form of transportation Charest said.

To accommodate these needs, Charest said this class would be better suited for a student of sophomore, junior or senior standing.

“Basic climbing techniques” and “holds” are taught in the class.

Students can also learn how to become familiar with climbing etiquette and safety practices.

This includes how to belay and communicate with students while they are climbing.

Lifeguard Training

Cara Hancy teaches the one-credit lifeguard training course that meets on Thursdays in the Patrick Gym from 10 a.m. to 12:20 p.m.

The class is split between the pool and the classroom.

Pool time lasts from 10 a.m. to 11:30 a.m. and then switches to the classroom in Patrick Gym for the rest of class.

However, there is an extra fee of $259 to take the class.

This fee includes supplies needed and certification testing to be able to climb.

This one-credit course is a way for students to not only gain a credit in the classroom Charest said, but to get your lifeguard certification.