Track and field compete in two meets

Ê

The University of Vermont men and women’s track and field competed in two separate tournaments, April 21. A select group of Catamounts took part in the Beach Invitational hosted by Long Beach State at Cerritos College in California, while the rest competed in the Middlebury Invitational at Dragone Track. 

At the Beach Invitational Vermont again saw success.In the men’s 1,500-meter run junior Ethan McBrien set a personal best with a time of 3:50.96 and finished fourth in his division. 

On the women’s side, junior Julie McGilpin and sophomore Yolanda Ngarambe both set new personal records in the women’s 1,500-meter run. The duo earned the first and second spots in their section and 18th and 19th overall. 

Sophomore Nika Ouellette – who won the 2011 America East Outdoor Track and Field Championships and was the first Catamount to qualify for the NCAA Outdoor Track and Field Championships – shined once again by qualifying for the finals in the women’s javelin competition with a javelin throw of 46.36 meters. 

The rest of the Catamounts competed back East in the Middlebury Invitational. 

At Middlebury, first-year Sydney Eberth earned her first collegiate win in the 400-meter dash with a time of 59.30. In the 200-meter race, senior Mari Fourie earned the top title with a time of 26.31, while Eberth placed behind her for second. Senior Lindsey Millikin also picked up her first career win in the 100-meter with a time of 13.75.

The men’s team earned high marks with a win by senior Jake Hopkins in the 800-meter run with a time of 1:58.54. Hopkins also joined a 4×400-meter relay team with senior Jim Montague, first-year Mallory Duncan and senior Nick Archer. The foursome won its race division with a time of 3:29.83. 

On the field side at Middlebury, senior Sam Hoadley won the men’s javelin event with a throw good for 63.70. Senior Peter Foley nabbed the top spot in shot put with a throw of 13.69 meters. 

In the men’s long jump, junior Dan Ciabattoni won the top title with a jump distance of 6.40 meters. Senior Chris Lemieux took the win in the high jump by clearing 1.83 meters. Additionally, sophomore Bobby Mitros earned first in the men’s pole vault. 

For the women on the field side, first-years Jessica Varney and Katherine Harrington finished first and second, respectively, in the women’s discus throw. The rookie Catamounts continued proving themselves as first-year Kelsie Benjamin took the women’s shot put event with a mark of 10.51. Additionally, first-year Cassie Marion earned the title for best women’s triple jump with a distance of 10.86. 

In the women’s hammer throw event, sophomore Charlotte Mintzer won with a mark of 48.40 meters, while senior Lisa Bunn followed behind for second. The Catamounts swept the top four spots in the event. 

While there were many worthy showings from the Vermont men and women’s track and field team, the Middlebury women’s team defeated the Vermont women 103-73 and the Middlebury men’s team topped the Vermont men 102-65. 

The Catamounts will compete Saturday, April 28 in the UNH Invitational in Durham, N.H.