UVM Basketball Teams Open 2003-04 Season Sunday

The University of Vermont men’s and women’s basketball team will officially hit the hardwood for the first time this year on Saturday, October 18.

The Catamount men, the defending America East Champions, will tip off the 104th year of basketball at the school with a 10:00am practice.

Coach Tom Brennan, the dean of America East coaches in his 18th year at Vermont, welcomes 10 returning players and three newcomers to the team that went 21-12 a year ago. The top returning Catamounts are juniors T.J. Sorrentine (Pawtucket, R.I.), the 2002 Kevin Roberson America East Player of the Year, and Taylor Coppenrath (West Barnet, Vt.), who won the award last year.

Prior to the regular season, Vermont will take on the Upstate AAU at Patrick Gym in an exhibition game Tuesday, November 4th. The Catamounts opener is Monday, November 17th at Nevada in the first round of the Owens Corning Preseason National Invitational Tournament. The regular season home opener is Friday, December 5th when Vermont hosts Cornell.

First-year head coach Sharon Dawley will run the women’s team through an afternoon workout in her first official practice at Vermont.

The Catamounts posted a record of 21-8 overall and finished in second place in the America East with a 12-4 mark.

UVM welcomes back nine letterwinners from last season, including two-time America East All-Conference selection Aaron Yantzi (Waterloo, Ontario).

The women will host the College of Montmorency from Montreal, Quebec in an exhibition game on Saturday, November 15th at 1:00pm. Vermont opens the 2003-04 regular season hosting the 10th Annual Banknorth Classic on November 21st and 22nd. South Alabama faces Vanderbilt in the first game on the 21st at 6:00pm. Vermont hosts St. Francis (N.Y.) in the second game at 8:00pm. The consolation and championship games will be held on November 22nd at 6:00 and 8:00pm, respectively.

The public will get their first look at the teams when they hold a Green & Gold scrimmage on Friday, October 24th at Patrick Gym. The women’s team will kick things off at 5:00pm and be followed by the men. Admission is free and several prizes and raffles will be available.

-Athletic Communications