UVM Shuts Out Sacred Heart in Women’s Hockey

The University of Vermont women’s hockey team set a new school record for most goals in a game in the Division I era as it rolled past Sacred Heart, 6-0, to pick up the program’s first DI victory at Gutterson Fieldhouse. It’s the Catamounts second straight victory after a 3-2 win at Boston College on Thursday night.

After a scoreless first period, the Catamounts finally broke through on a short-handed goal by freshman Ashley Keane (Sherborn, Mass.) at 2:08 of the second period. Sophomore Abbey Kaknes (St. Charles, Ill.) added her second goal in as many nights at 5:54 and freshman Kattie Anderson (Naperville, Ill.) scored her first career goal at 6:55 of the period to give UVM a 3-0 lead at the end of two.

The Catamounts kept the pressure on in the third period. Hilary Johnson (Arlington Heights, Ill.) scored her second goal in as many games on an assist from Lindsey Tilbury (Rochester, Minn.) at 9:12. Freshman Jamie Jensen (Ithaca, N.Y.) netted her first career goal at 10:59 to give Vermont a 5-0 lead. Tilbury closed out the scoring at 17:05, finishing off an assist from Jensen.

“This was a nice back-to-back effort for us,” said Vermont head coach Dennis Miller. “We’ll use these two wins as momentum as we head into league play.”

Vermont improves to 2-5-1 overall, while Sacred Heart falls to 0-1-0 on the year. The Catamounts return to action next weekend when they face Dartmouth in a home-and-home series to open up ECAC action. The Big Green visit Burlington on Saturday, November 8th at 2:00pm, while the Catamounts travel to Hanover, New Hampshire on Sunday, November 9th for a 2:00pm contest.