UVM Splits Weekend Matchup

While first-year students were moving in on Aug. 23, the Vermont women’s soccer team took to Virtue Field in the UVM-hosted TD Bank Classic tournament against Sacred Heart.

The season opener for the Catamounts attracted a large crowd of 400 fans that cheered on Vermont to their 2-1 win over Sacred Heart.

Sacred Heart got on the scoreboard shortly after the start of the first period with a header in by sophomore Marissa Christy in the ninth minute after a cross to the center of the box.

Vermont answered back with 22 minutes left on the clock with a deep shot from the 18 yard box from junior Alexandra Dezenzo that sliced into the back of the net.

The 1-1 tie held for the remaining time in the first period as each team was unable to capitalize on opportunities from both ends of the field.

In the second period, Vermont came out from the half-time break strong.

In the third minute of second period action, first year Nikki McFarland crossed the ball from the right-wing corner to senior Ellie Mills who knocked it in to put Vermont ahead.

“We’ve always been a team to fight until the end and that’s how we played today. We came out in the second half wanting a goal and we got one right away,” Mills said. “I learned we are fighters and no matter what the game throws at us we are always going to fight.”

Sacred Heart battled the Catamounts until the full-time buzzer sounded, but was unable to find the back of the net again.

Vermont defeated Sacred Heart 2-1 after 90 minutes of play.

“The first win I think is always really important for us. We have a tradition for doing pretty well in our tournament,” said head coach Kristi Lefebvre. “We have a tradition for doing pretty well in our tournament, but we know that we brought Colgate in for our second opponent.

“They are a good team so we are definitely going to have to be ready for them.”

The TD Bank Classic tournament resumed for Vermont on Sunday Aug. 25 on Virtue Field against Colgate.

Vermont fell to Colgate after sophomore Sidney Parodie scored the only goal of the game in the 43rd minute of play.

Colgate had its first chance at scoring 12 minutes into the game following a free kick 30 yards out by sophomore Jenna Raepple, but Vermont sophomore goalie Ally Ramos made the diving save.

Vermont answered back with a chance of their own after first-year Caitie Green passed to Dezenzo who fired a shot on goal from the far side of the box.

Colgate’s goalie, sophomore Erin Cummings, made a diving save.

Parodie’s unassisted game-winning goal came just under a minute after Vermont senior defender Haley Marks headed a ball out of danger following a scramble in the box.

Soon after, Vermont defenders attempted to clear another loose ball scramble at the Vermont net.

The ball deflected off of Parodie and gave Colgate a 1-0 advantage.

The win for Colgate earns them the TD Bank Classic Championship and improves them to 2-0 for the start of the 2013-2014 season. The Catamounts move to 1-1 in the season.

Vermont Women’s soccer returns to the field this Friday when they travel to Colorado Springs to take on Southern Utah in the Colorado College Invitational.