Vermont and Colgate end in tie

Ê

Ê

On Sept. 14 and 16, the University of Vermont men’s soccer team traveled to New York for a pair of games. On Friday, he Catamounts faced Cornell University and on Sunday, they competed against Colgate University.

Before the games, Vermont stood 2-3-1 in the season. Cornell was undefeated in the season with a 4-0 record and Colgate is 1-3-2 overall.

After waiting more than two hours for the severe weather to clear on the first day of games, Cornell and Vermont decided to postpone the game. The teams determined to reschedule the game later in the season as their schedules allow.

By Sunday, the weather had cleared up and the Catamounts took the field against Colgate. The first period had strong offense from both opponents. Right before the five-minute mark, Colgates Shane Conlin attempted a shot that was blocked by Vermont. The Catamounts answered back at 13:11 with a shot from Senior Joe Losier, saved by Colgate goaltender Liam Stapleton.

As the clocked wound down in the first half, each team once again made a run at putting numbers up on the scoreboard. Vermont started the offensive burst with a shot by Junior Johnny Bonner at 38:29. Bonner’s shot was wide, missin the mark. At 40:12, Colgate’s header by Mike Garzi went wide as well – beginning the numerous missed shot attempts for the team. At 42:39, Colgate’s Mike Reidy’s shot was saved by goaltender Conor Leland. Colgate’s James Byer and Reidy shot attempts were both unable to reach the back of net. At the 45-minute mark, the game was 0-0.

The second half followed much of the same pattern as the first, with shots from both sides missing the net time and time again. Finally, at the 72nd minute, Losier scored a goal for Vermont off of a penalty kick.

As the clock came close to fulltime, it seemed as if Vermont was going to earn the win. However, 30 seconds before the end of the game, Colgate’s Patrick Letourneau headed in a goal off of a free kick from Shane Conlin.

With a 1-1 score, the game went into overtime.

The first overtime, a 10 minute time period, began with offensive domination by Colgate. By the end of the 10-minutes of overtime, Colgate had four shot attempts while Vermont had none.

With the first overtime ending in the same 1-1 score the game went into a double overtime. The double-overtime, another 10-minute period, had no shot attempts coming from either side. The 110-minute long game ended in a draw, leaving Vermont unbeaten in their last three matches.

“As a group we are disappointed in the performance and the result today,” said Vermont head coach Jesse Cormier in a University of Vermont athletic press conference. “I give Colgate all the credit; they played harder.”

The Catamounts finished the game with eight shots on goal, while Colgate had 22 shots.

“Although we were better in the second half and had some good performances from some guys off the bench…we have to give more on the road to knock off the home teams,” Cormier said. “We left a lot of plays on the field and lacked the discipline we needed to help us be successful.”

Vermont will be back in action on Wed. Sept. 19 to face Hofstra and Quinnipiac Sept. 22.