Vermont Track and Field finishes strong

The mens soccer team has extended their undefeated streak to five games following a win and a draw in their past two matches.

Vermont traveled to Hempstead, N.Y. to play Hofstra University in a non-conference game, Sept. 19.

Senior forward D.J. Edler and junior goal tender Conor Leland proved to be valuable players in the match: Edler earned two goals and Leland made five saves.

The upperclassmen, the older guys, executed the game plan to perfection, said Vermont head coach Jesse Cormier in a University of Vermont Athletics Press Conference. They were fantastic. They were great leaders tonight.

UVM senior Jesse Cormier began the scoring in the 32nd minute with a penalty kick and Vermont kept the 1-0 lead going into halftime.

In the second half, junior rookie Jonny Bonner tallied up his first career goal for the Catamounts in the 73rd minute off of an assist from Losier. Bonners goal hit the mark from eight yards out.

In the 79th minute, first-year Teddy Gula crossed the ball to Edler who sank the shot to earn his first goal of the game.

Hofstra prevented a shutout in the 84th minute with a goal from Maid Memic 10 yards out.

The Catamounts answered back as Edler tallied another goal in the 88th minute. Edlers goal was the final one of the game, which ended Hofstra 4-1 in favor of Vermont.

The guys responded by playing together they made the commitment to do the things that can make us successful and it showed tonight, Cormier said.This is a big win for us.

The Catamounts took the field in Hamden, Connecticut to face Quinnipiac University in another non-conference game on Sept. 22.

Quinnipiac nabbed an early lead with a goal from Phillip Surprise in the 10th minute.

Vermont answered back shortly after. In the 18th minute, Bonner tied the game off of a penalty kick and again in the 31st minute, Vermont scored as Edler netted an unassisted goal.

Vermont held the 2-1 lead going into halftime.

In the 77th minute, Vermont lost the one-goal advantage when Quinnipiacs William Daniels tied up the game at 2-2.

Neither team could manage a game-winning goal to earn the win before the final whistle.

I feel like we deserved to win the match, maybe with a wee bit of luck we could have, Bonner said.

The game went into two extra periods of overtime, but after 110 minutes of play, the game ended in a draw.

The guys did a very good job of battling back to grab the lead, but it is disappointing we gave up a late goal. Cormier said after the match. We respect Quinnipiac and the effort they showed in the match. Overall, we are pleased with a solid performance.

The Catamounts will be back on the field on Sept. 29 when they travel to Baltimore, Md. to play the University of Maryland, Baltimore County in the America East Opener.