Vermont Track and Field finishes strong

Another track and field season has run its course for the men’s and women’s teams, and the Catamounts can now begin to prepare for spring.

One month ago the teams competed in the America East Championships, which would be the final competition for many of the athletes. The men placed seventh, a regression from last year’s sixth place finish, but still superior to their eighth place finish in 2012.

Overall, the meet and season overall both featured many highlights for the team. Sophomore Ed Simon set a new school record at the championships in the heptathlon which is where one athlete competes in the same seven events including the 100-meter hurdles, high jump, shot put, 200-meter dash, long jump, javelin, and 800-meter run.

In addition to Simon, the team was led all season by performances from first-year sprinter Romario Bailey, who set new school records in the 60 and 200-meter dashes, and sophomore Martin Kallur, who set school records in the 55 and 60-meter hurdles.

Sophomores Dan Maroney and Colby Cunningham broke the school records for the 3000-meter and long jump respectively, while the men’s 4×400 and 4×800 relays ended the season with performances for the team that broke records.

That adds up to nine school records set in one season. When asked about the most memorable moment in the season, first-year sprinter Ben Citrin said “seeing Romario Bailey run the 60-meter sprint and watching Martin Kallur set the school record in the 60-meter hurdles really stood out to me.”

In contrast to the men’s final score at the championships, the women’s team placed fourth in 2012 and 2013. This year they moved into third place in the championships.

A group of veterans including senior pentathlete Brittany St. Claire who competes in five different events, and senior distance runner Yolanda Ngarambe led the women’s team.

They set school records this year in the high jump and mile. St. Claire was recently selected as Outstanding Athlete of the Year, as well as America East Track Athlete of the Week, an honor shared by Kallur of the men’s team.

“The America East Conference has recognized Brittany St. Clair and Martin Kallur as conference athletes of the week as a result of their outstanding performances over the last few weeks,” Coach Belfield said.

In addition, Ngarambe earned a Coaches’ Award for scoring the most points at the Conference championships.

Now that the indoor season is complete,the teams can begin prepping for another outdoor season. You can be sure the Catamounts will always be in the mix for the gold.