Women’s Hockey Drops Two

The Colgate Raiders scored a goal in each period and goaltender Rebecca Lahar posted the shutout in a 3-0 win over Vermont in ECAC Women’s Ice Hockey action Saturday at Gutterson Fieldhouse.

Colgate, 11-16-0 overall and 3-8-0 in ECAC play, scored its first goal late in the first period as Maura Kehoe slid one past Vermont goaltender Tiffany Hayes at 19:28. Micki King assisted on the goal, passing the puck to Kehoe to the left of the slot.

The Raiders made it 2-0 late in the second period when Kara Bachman beat Hayes with a wrist shot at 19:56. Kristy MacDonald and Kristin Cirbus assisted on the goal, passing the puck to Bachman to the right of the slot.

Despite numerous scoring opportunities for the Catamounts, the Raiders carried the momentum and sealed the victory with their third goal of the game.

Chelsey Rhodes fired the puck past Hayes at 3:33 with Carly McNaughton and Cheryl Setchell assisting on the goal.

Hayes finished the afternoon with 33 saves in the Vermont net, while Lahar registered 23 saves for Colgate.

The Cats then took on eighth place Cornell on Saturday at the Gutt. Senior Lindsay Murao scored one goal, and handed out two assists to lead the Big Red to a 4-2 win.

Vermont got on the board first as senior Rebecca Godsill scored her first goal of the year off of assists by Caitlin Barnes and Katie Gannon at 1:43 of the first period. Cornell (4-16-1; 2-9-1) responded with four unanswered goals in the first and second period to take a 4-1 lead over the Catamounts.

Vermont tried to come back as Caitlin Barnes scored a power play goal late in the third period, but it wasn’t enough for the Cats to overcome Cornell.

Tiffany Hayes made 43 saves on the day in the Vermont net, while Cornell’s Sanya Sandahl had 37 saves for the Big Red.

Vermont (3-21-2, 0-11-1) returns home to face St. Lawrence on February 22nd and 23rd. Both games begin at 2:00p.m. at Gutterson Fieldhouse.

-SportsInfo