Women’s hockey falls in preseason opener

A late comeback by the McGill University Martlets led them past the Catamounts 3-2 at Gutterson Fieldhouse in a preseason game Sunday.

The two teams skated to a scoreless first period, as senior goaltender Madi Litchfield stopped all 13 shots against her and McGill goaltender Tricia Deguire stopped the 10 shots the Catamounts fired at her.

The Catamounts started the second period quickly, opening the scoring just 13 seconds in.

Senior forward Bridget Baker cut through the middle, then passed to Campeau on the right wing.

Campeau then sent the puck to sophomore forward Alyssa Gorecki, standing on the edge of the crease.

Gorecki tapped the puck past Deguire to put the Catamounts up 1-0.

With 3:19 to go in the second period and McGill forward Jade Downie in the penalty box for tripping, UVM doubled their lead on the power play.

Junior defender Taylor Willard, cutting toward the goal, passed the puck to sophomore defender Daria O’Neill at the point.

O’Neill’s shot was stopped by Deguire, but Campeau pounced on the rebound, getting just enough of a touch to put the puck over the line and put the Cats up 2-0.

Less than two minutes later, McGill pulled one back on the power play.

With senior forward Casey Leveillee serving a hooking minor, Scobee made a save off of Downie, but McGill’s Nicole Howlett got to the rebound before Scobee could find it, cutting the Vermont lead to 2-1.

The visiting Martlets, who were playing their sixth game of the season, managed to tie the game on the power play midway through the third.

It would remain level through the third, forcing overtime.

In overtime, McGill ended it, as McGill’s Sidonie Chard’s centering pass found Lea Dumais in front, who tapped the puck in for the game winning goal.

Despite the loss, coach Jim Plumer saw some very promis- ing signs during the game.

“I liked the way we played five-on-five,” Plumer said.

“I liked our competitiveness. I thought we battled really hard and I think we created a lot of chances.”

Campeau agreed with Plumer that the team’s competitiveness was a positive sign on the day.

“I thought that our compete level was really strong throughout the game, and they just came and finished at the end,” Campeau said.

Plumer said he believes that, compared with getting the team to play to his system and getting fitness levels up, winning was secondary on the day.

“For this game, winning the game probably would’ve been the third priority,” he said.

“We want to give everyone a chance to get some experience.”

The Catamounts open the regular season Oct. 4, when they travel to Schenectady, New York, to take on the Union College Dutchwomen.