Women’s Soccer Ties Hartford

WEST HARTFORD, Conn. – Freshman Cassandra VanLeeuwen (Tillsonburg, Ontario) scored twice in the opening 20 minutes to lead Vermont to a 2-2 tie with America East foe Hartford.

After scoring the game’s first goal in the 11th minute, VanLeeuwen struck again in the 19th minute on a ball goalkeeper Stephanie Doyle couldn’t corral and scored to put Vermont up 2-0.

Hartford cut the lead in half four minutes later when senior Cindy Walsh scored her second goal of the season heading in Hilde Bakke’s serve to get the Hawks on the board.

Hartford tied the game just before the half when Walsh served a long pass up the middle of the field that resulted in a footrace between junior Stephanie Pothier and Vermont keeper Katie Duffy (Monroe, N.Y.). Pothier got to the ball a split second before Duffy and one-touched it past her for her second goal of the season, knotting the game up at 2-2.

Neither team could capitalize on great opportunities in the second half and either overtime. Vermont’s Nikkie Hessney (Victor, N.Y.) had a wide-open look with 15 minutes remaining in regulation but missed wide right, and with under four minutes to go she had a point-blank attempt that was stopped by Hinton, who replaced Doyle at halftime.

In the first overtime, Hartford freshman Diane Zaniewski had two great chances to net the game winner. Her first attempt with 6:30 to play hit off the crossbar while her second with three minutes to go missed wide right.

Though Hartford was outshot 5-2 in the second overtime, the Hawks made both attempts count. Zaniewski missed a chance for redemption by sailing a shot high and wide right with eight minutes to go, and Pothier fired a shot with 2:45 remaining that bounced off the right post. Vermont’s best chance came with seconds to play, though Hinton stopped a shot by Amy Cochran (Keene, N.H.), one of 10 saves for the senior in 65 minutes of action.

Hartford moved to 2-8-2 overall on the season and 2-1-1 in the America East.

Vermont’s record moved to 5-3-3 overall and 1-1-1 in the conference. The

Catamounts close out the weekend at America East newcomer Maryland, Baltimore County on Sunday, October 12th.

-Athletic Communications