Cynic Style Files: Please don’t dress like a slut on Halloween

You see it every year – the girl with the black bra, black shorts and tiny cat ears who claims she really is a cat for Halloween.  Or the girl with the little white mini-dress and a first aid kit claiming she is a sexy nurse.What ever happened to originality?Style Files begs you – please don’t use Halloween as an excuse to bare as much skin as possible. Plus, last time we checked, it’s usually around 25 degrees in Burlington by Oct. 31 — talk about a sexy cat freezing her tail off.Looking spooky and authentic does not have to mean looking unflattering. You don’t have to show your goodies to look great.There’s a significant difference between slutty and sexy. Have you ever seen a girl wearing a dress that covered her up but hugged all the right places? That girl still looked amazing because she was wearing something that complimented her curves, without revealing too much skin.Of course, there’s nothing wrong with short skirts and low cut tops. We at Style Files truly appreciate that type of clothing and advocate celebrating your shape. But, as you get dressed, be mindful of your appearance.  You’re smart enough to distinguish between the two. In short, slutty is sexy gone wrong. Usually, a slutty costume is boring and store-bought, whereas there is apparent thought behind a sexy and cute costume that shows. Since you don’t have to go to the store, being original can also save money, which is a very appealing factor for a college student. Walk into any Party City and you’ll see skanky costumes for $50 and up. You can make up a cheaper and more unique costume using clothes you already have and buying inexpensive extras.And for all you guys, a Celtics hat and what you wore to the gym earlier that day does not cut it as a basketball player costume; you need to get original too. Above all, Halloween is supposed to be fun. While it’s an excuse to look crazy, don’t embarrass yourself. Even more importantly, don’t be a carbon copy. Halloween is the only night of the year where you can look as weird and original as possible without anyone batting an eye.