Farm to Table on Wall Street

If you’re concerned about the stomachs of the diligent protesters in New York City’s Occupy Wall Street movement, you shouldn’t be. Chances are, they are probably eating far better than the average college student. Forget ramen noodles and peanut butter and jelly sandwiches, think organic root vegetables and spaghetti Bolognese. 

Since the beginning of the movement, the anti-corporate campers of Zuccotti Park have had all their meals taken care of.  The recent New York Post article, “Protestors Dine in Style”, tells the story of Eric Smith, a volunteer who is a former Sheraton Hotel chef and is cooking up mouthwatering meals for the demonstrators.  

“We’re running a five-star restaurant down here” Smith said. 

He justifies his refusal to settle for mediocre ingredients by the importance of fueling the bodies and minds of the dedicated and passionate. Majority of the organic produce and grass-fed meat and poultry is being donated from small farms all over upstate New York, Massachusetts and Vermont, arriving daily by the truckload. 

Not only are Vermont veggies present at Zuccotti Park, but Burlington’s very own Ben and Jerry’s ice cream was distributed to more than a thousand occupiers last week. Co-founders Ben Cohen and Jerry Greenfield scooped the flavors themselves to show support. 

The Ben and Jerry’s Board of Director’s sent the following message to protesters on their website: “We realize that Occupy Wall Street is calling for systemic change. We support this call to action and are honored to join you in this call to take back our nation and democracy.”

Sophomore David Fernandez traveled to New York last weekend to represent the 99 percent and demand equality and just distribution in the United States. 

“Honestly, the food I ate while I was there was better than the food I eat on a regular basis here at school, ” Fernandez said. “I had delicious chicken, rice and collard greens one night for dinner and bagels and eggs for breakfast. I mean real eggs too, not dining hall eggs.”