Women’s hockey plays to fight cancer

Ashley Miller, Staff Writer

The UVM women’s ice hockey team played a double header against the University of New Hampshire winning 1-0 Nov. 2 and tying 2-2 Nov. 3.

Head coach Jim Plumer said that he anticipated UNH would show up looking for revenge Nov. 3.

“Whenever you beat a team and play them again the next day, they’re going to come out with an edge,” he said.  

Saturday’s game was played in support of the continuous efforts by UVM’s Cancer Center.

The Rally Against Cancer match is an especially significant game for senior goalie Melissa Black, who lost her mother to breast cancer five years ago, Plumer said.

“I’m really proud of Melissa today, this game meant a lot to her. She played all three periods and played them well,” he said.

The Catamounts commenced the game with strong pressure in their offensive end, but UNH gained control of the puck and scored within the first eight minutes.

After their opponent’s goal, UVM quickly responded by scoring a goal shot by junior forward Audrey Picard.

As the remaining minutes of the first period wound down, sophomore forward Alyssa Holmes put one in the net for Vermont.

However, UNH returned to the ice and scored a second goal with one minute remaining in the period.

“That first half was tough, letting in those two goals, but as a team we bounced back quickly,” Black said.

The second period was filled with penalties taken by the Wildcats, giving UVM numerous opportunities to score.

“We had so many quality chances on those power plays in the second period, but sometimes you just don’t get that right bounce from the puck,” Plumer said.

Excitement filled the bleachers as the two teams hit the ice for the final period with a tied scoreboard; “hopefully UVM can get a goal in the third to wrap this thing up,” Paul Black, Melissa Black’s father, said.

The Wildcats accumulated three more penalties in the third period and while UVM displayed strong team chemistry with connecting passes, they were unable to score.

In the final second of the game, UVM got a tripping penalty called on them, resulting in a penalty shot for the Wildcats.

Black successfully blocked UNH’s shot and the game progressed into overtime.

“Melissa appeared to stay really calm and cool going during that penalty shot, which could have significantly changed the outcome of the game,” Plumer said.

Neither team was able to keep consistent pressure in the five minute overtime period, resulting in the 2-2 tie.

“It was a hard fought game. I would’ve rather come out of this weekend with two wins, but I’m proud of how we performed,” Plumer said.

The Catamounts’ next game will be 7 p.m. Nov. 6 at Dartmouth.