Alexandra Bodelle

Men’s lacrosse begins 2022 with 1-2 record

February 23, 2022

The UVM men’s lacrosse team enters the 2022 season looking to return to the NCAA tournament after reaching it for the first time in 2021, according to UVM athletics.

In a pandemic-shortened 2021 season, America East coaches picked the Catamounts fourth in the conference’s preseason poll. UVM tied for the regular season title and won the America East tournament for the first time, according to UVM athletics.

Head coach Chris Feifs won the New England Coach of the Year award and junior faceoff specialist Tommy Burke won the New England Player of the Year award, according to UVM athletics.

This season, coaches selected UVM first in the preseason poll, receiving all six possible first-place votes, according to UVM athletics. The Catamounts were ranked No. 17 in the national preseason media poll.

Two Vermont players are preseason All-Americans as chosen by Inside Lacrosse. Senior midfielder Thomas McConvey is on the Third Team and Burke is an honorable mention, according to UVM athletics.

McConvey led UVM with 37 goals and 53 points in 2021, scoring at least a point in every game. Burke set program records for faceoffs won in a season and faceoff percentage, according to UVM athletics.

UVM returns 97% of its scoring from 2021, according to UVM athletics. Graduate attackers Michael McCormack and Liam Limoges and senior attacker David Closterman join McConvey on offense.

This season, the Catamounts have a 1-2 record. They lost 15-10 at No. 3 Duke University in their season opener and fell 11-10 at home against the University of Utah.

Vermont picked up its first win on Feb. 16 with a 16-10 victory over Pennsylvania State University. Limoges and junior attacker Brock Haley each scored five goals in the win.

Limoges leads UVM with eight goals and Limoges and Closterman each have nine points. Burke has won 52 of his 80 faceoffs for a 0.650 win percentage.

Vermont will travel to Providence to face Brown University on Feb. 26. They will return home to take on Bryant University on March 5.