Wells’ toughness, hustle key to UVM’s success

March 3, 2022

Senior guard Sarah Wells authored a fitting end to UVM’s senior night game against Binghamton University, sealing UVM’s 65-60 victory with a steal and layup in the final seconds.

Wells’ contributions have helped the Catamounts secure a home game in the America East tournament for the first time since 2001, according to UVM athletics.

Plays like the ones she made against Binghamton define Wells’ mentality and what she brings to the team, she said.

“[Playing with toughness is] a mentality I’ve had ever since I started playing basketball,” Wells said. “I think it comes from my dad. He always pushed me to be the toughest out there, and I think that really cultivated a competitive spirit in me.” 

Taking on the role of the energetic player willing to dive on the court for the ball allows her teammates to shine, Wells said.

“My main focus has been bringing the energy,” Wells said. “We have some really skilled players that are confident with the ball, they have a crazy skill set. I realized that the way I fit in the best here is just making the hustle plays.”

Wells’ energy pushes the Catamounts to improve on practice and on game day, senior guard Josie Larkins said.

“She brings the energy, she sets the expectation for us during practice that we’ve got to work extremely hard,” Larkins said. “She makes us all work really hard so that we’re prepared for these types of games.”

Head Coach Alisa Kresge complimented Wells’s ability to make timely hustle plays when Vermont needs it most.

“Those are the Sarah Wells plays,” Kresge said of the final seconds against Binghamton. “That’s what she’s known for. She does all the little hard, tough jobs. We need more plays like that. And she’s the person who we go to when we need things like that.”

Wells said in her four years at UVM, she has seen the team grow and learn to trust one another.

“I can trust my teammates, and they can trust me,” Wells said. “It’s not as much second guessing and trying to figure things out. We have things figured out, so now it’s just a matter of putting it together.”

Wells said her teammates were vital to her development as a player and as a person.

“When you come into a Division One program, it’s a lot of fear and a lot of insecurity,” Wells said. “Shoutout to a lot of my teammates who have given me the confidence to be the person I’ve become. If it weren’t for them, I don’t think I would have made it as far as I have.”

After finishing the regular season with a victory over the University of Massachusetts Lowell on Feb. 26, The Catamounts will host an America East quarterfinal on March 5 at Patrick Gym.