Kate Vanni

A skier from the UVM Ski and Snowboard Club launches from the top of the pitch, setting up to hit the rails below Oct. 23.

First turns of the season are made at Dawn of the Shred

October 29, 2020

“All of the Lights” blasted from speakers as skiers and riders snapped their bindings in and hit the rails for the first time in six months.

UVM’s Ski and Snowboard Club set up their makeshift park on the outside of University Heights South. The crew prepared the hill by shoveling snow out of a pickup truck onto the grass and sprinkling instant ice over the melting snow.

The Ski and Snowboard Club chose to set up on the Athletic Campus this year to have better crowd control in order to adhere to COVID regulations.

Though usually held at night, this year’s Dawn of the Shred: Lite was divided into two sections. The first section began at 3:00 p.m. and lasted until 4:30 p.m.. The following section was from 4:30 p.m. to 6:00 p.m..

Brianna Hillier, the Ski and Snowboard Club’s Events Coordinator went around the fence line with pink spray paint and a tape measure to put down spots marking six-feet of distance for the crowd members.

Students watched from their dorm windows and socially distanced on the green as skiers and snowboarders debuted their tricks and skills.

While the event did not draw the typical crowds present at Dawn of the Shred, the energy from the club members was the same.