Martha Hrdy

Winters in Vermont are inferior to spring

March 25, 2022

As the snow melts on campus and the grass is finally visible, not everyone seems excited for the warmer seasons.

However, the spring brings an opportunity to experience the outdoors without the layers of clothing. The warm weather can feel freeing because of the vast opportunities in the great outdoors.

It is no secret many out-of-state students appreciate the proximity to multiple ski mountains when considering the pros of attending UVM. This is understandable; students love skiing.

The dorms clear out every Saturday morning as many walk to the Patrick Gym entrance to catch a bus provided by the Ski and Snowboard Club to Sugarbush, Mad River, Smuggler’s Notch or Jay Peak.

However, the students who don’t attend these weekly excursions off-campus are left without much to do on these dreary, below freezing days.

Not being involved in winter sports feels alienating. I learned to ski this year as a first-year because I wanted an activity to do in the wintertime, but many others face physical and financial detriments to learning a snow sport.

While I have a basic knowledge of how to ski, I can say it is definitely difficult. Between finding transportation to and from the mountain and getting back up after falling over and over, there are numerous obstacles.

The winter poses challenges to going outside, especially to those with disabilities. Ice and uncleared sidewalks make it difficult for wheelchairs to move and cold air can be hard for people with breathing issues.

Lack of sunlight and the feeling of being stuck inside may cause some to struggle more during the winter months.

On a weekend in the spring, it’s easy to go on a walk or sit outside to do homework.

As a student who started here this semester, the cold, dreary look of campus in the winter matched my emotions while trying to get situated at UVM.

After being stuck inside for months, finally studying, exercising outdoors and not speed-walking to class to avoid the cold feels like a luxury. The warmth makes the campus feel more like a home.

The Adirondack chairs outside the Davis Center and the benches scattered around campus look so inviting now that they are not covered in snow. 

People will still venture off campus for hikes and outdoor activities, but those who remain on campus can still partake in the beauty of nature and enjoy the weather. 

Vermont’s beauty persists outside of the winter. Consider looking forward to the time you can spend enjoying other aspects of Vermont.

There are many small details to appreciate such as seeing green on the mountains as the warmth melts the snow. 

The changing seasons are more of an opportunity to experience new things in your four years here. I hope everyone looks forward to the spring as we experience the second half of the semester.