Eric Scharf

Left to right: junior Noah Egan, senior Garret Lillie and graduate student Yves Borie cheer with open arms after beating New Jersey Institute of Technology 3-2 in the America East semifinal at Virtue Field on Nov. 10.

Recapping an eventful UVM sports week

November 15, 2021

Women’s soccer:

Women’s soccer lost 2-0 to Princeton University in the first round of the NCAA tournament Nov 12. The loss ends a season of historic success for the Catamounts. 

UVM won the America East regular season title for the second time in program history and the first time since 1996, according to UVM athletics. They defeated the University of New Hampshire 1-0 to win their first America East tournament championship on Nov. 7. 

Vermont reached the NCAA tournament for the second time in program history and the first time since 1984, according to UVM athletics.

The Catamounts’ season ends with a 12-6-1 record.

Men’s soccer:

Men’s soccer claimed its sixth America East title and first since 2015 with a 1-0 win at No. 6 New Hampshire Nov. 14.

Graduate midfielder Yves Borie scored the goal to defeat the previously unbeaten Wildcats. The Catamounts (13-4-2, 6-1-1 America East) will make their 10th NCAA tournament appearance. 

Vermont defeated New Jersey Institute of Technology 3-2 on Nov. 10 in the semifinal. Borie, senior midfielder Joe Morrison and sophomore midfielder Jacob Vitale scored for UVM. Read more from Austin Chen.

UVM will learn its tournament opponent at the NCAA selection show on Nov. 15 at 1 p.m.

Women’s hockey:

Women’s hockey lost twice at home to No. 4 Northeastern University. On Nov. 12, they fell 3-0 as Huskies goaltender Aerin Frankel made 26 saves to earn a shutout. 

On Nov. 13, graduate forward Kristina Shanahan gave UVM the lead with a first-period goal, but Northeastern tied it late in the period. The Huskies scored twice in 28 seconds late in the third period to secure a 3-1 win.

The Catamounts (4-6-1, 2-3-1 Hockey East) will travel to North Andover, Massachusetts to face Merrimack College on Nov. 20 and 21.

Men’s hockey:

Men’s hockey lost the first and tied the second of two games at the University of New Hampshire.

On Nov. 12, Vermont fell 2-1, with first-year forward Simon Jellus scoring the Catamounts’ goal. UVM erased a deficit three separate times before heading to a shootout tied 3-3 on Nov 13. Vermont won the shootout 2-1 to claim the second Hockey East point.

The Catamounts (1-6-1, 1-2-1 Hockey East) will host Providence College for two games Nov. 19 and 20.

Women’s basketball:

Women’s basketball opened its season with an 87-57 home win over Merrimack College. Eighty-seven points are the most the Catamounts have scored under Head Coach Alisa Kresge, in her fourth season. Read more from Lucia Gallo

On Nov. 13, UVM fell 68-61 in overtime to American University. 

On Nov. 14, UVM lost 67-50 to Marist. The Red Foxes never trailed and led by as many as 25 points. Junior guard Jane McCauley led Vermont with 16 points.

Vermont will travel to face the U.S. Naval Academy on Nov. 20.

Men’s basketball:

Men’s basketball opened its season with a 71-57 win at the University of Northern Iowa. Senior guard Ben Shungu led UVM with 19 points.

On Nov. 13, No. 21 University of Maryland defeated Vermont 68-57. The Catamounts led 36-32 at halftime before the Terrapins mounted a comeback. Shungu led UVM with 27 points.

Vermont will host Worcester Polytechnic Institute on Nov. 16 and Yale University on Nov. 19.

Cross-Country:

Men’s and women’s cross-country each finished in 24th place at the NCAA Northeast Regional on Nov. 12.

Senior Wyatt Matyas led the men’s team with 678 points and senior Jane Leighton led the women’s team with 671 points.

Leighton finished No. 27 out of 252 runners in the women’s 6k with a time of 21:23. Sophomore Lily Porth was the second Catamount to finish, posting a time of 23:03.

Matyas finished No. 98 of 245 runners in the men’s 10k with a time of 32:42. Senior Owen Amsden finished with a time of 33:00.