Emily Kobus

Remi Wolf headlines at the University’s annual concert SpringFest, held this year on the Fleming green April 29.

Remi Wolf comes to UVM and brings the sun with her

May 3, 2023

Whipped cream cans circled the crowd during Saint Motel’s set, and after a dark, damp afternoon, the sun peeked out as Remi Wolf took the stage.

UVM’s SpringFest 2023 took place Saturday, April 29 from 1:30-4:30 p.m. on the Fleming green. Fences surrounded the area between Central Campus Dining and the Fleming Museum.

SpringFest, UVM’s annual spring concert organized by UVM Program Board, has hosted artists such as Playboi Carti and Rico Nasty.

This year, student band Earthworm and LA-based Saint Motel opened for headliner Remi Wolf.

The event officially started at 1:30 p.m., though Earthworm started their show closer to 2 p.m.

Earthworm won the opportunity to open for SpringFest by taking first place in Battle of the Bands, another event put on by UPB.

The weather was cold, wet and rainy, leaving students soaked and chilly. UPB gave out ponchos and t-shirts while UVM Bored handed out free yerba mate. Food trucks on the green kept students fueled.

“The weather made my hot dog wet and soggy,” first-year Campbell Maclellan said.

Students got impatient waiting for the artists, especially those who arrived right at 1:30 p.m.

“I’d compare this to if Woodstock ‘99 and the war in Iraq had a baby,” first-year Tim Hayden said.

The crowd grew while waiting for Saint Motel.

Saint Motel came on stage around 3 p.m. AJ Jackson, the lead singer, ate some of the whipped cream that was making its rounds in the crowd, yelled “Go Cats” repeatedly and played “My Type” last in his set.

Overall, students seemed to enjoy Saint Motel’s presence.

“Their music is bouncy, flouncy and fun,” first-year Vivian Molesworth said. “Now that my chilliness has thawed, I am having a good time.”

First-year Ethan Korman also found that Saint Motel put on a fun show.

“I would absolutely see them again. They really got me going,” they said.

Saint Motel finished their set around 3:45 p.m. Many people felt that the end of their performance was a good time to head home.

“There’s been an obvious decrease in the amount of people here,” first-year Barton Ritchay said.

In between sets, students perused the festivities, picked up free drug testing strips, played games set up on the green and lounged in the available seating.

Remi Wolf came on at 4:20 p.m. The event was allotted to end at 4:30 p.m. Some students who arrived at 1:30 p.m. had been at the concert for almost three hours since re-entry was not permitted.

The crowd loudly welcomed her to the stage. Wolf wore a sideways hat, jorts, a sweatshirt and sunglasses.

“Y’all are louder than Coachella,” Wolf said before thanking UVM for having her and leaping into her set.

“I liked this cute part where she and her drummer switched places and did affirmation chants,” first-year Celie Kreilkamp said.

Wolf played a variety of her songs including “Sexy Villain” and “Liquor Store.” A student was dropped while crowd surfing in the middle of Wolf’s set.

“This is a good crowd, really into Remi, people seem excited and the sun came out,” Molesworth said.