Mary Mclellan

Cynic staff photographer Mary Mclellan poses for a self-portrait inside the dance studio of Mann Hall.

“Busy, productive, exhausting and frantic” a day in the life of a college undergrad

March 12, 2021

Tuesday, late February. Life has changed in this past year, but the world still goes on. As well as, unfortunately, my 8:30 a.m. classes. This series documents a day in my life. I am taking 18 credit hours this semester, making my life busy. I am a microbiology major with a studio art minor and am planning on picking up a molecular genetics minor as well. These photos document my busiest day of the week, Tuesdays.

Through the Blinds: The garbage truck comes at 7:00 a.m., disrupting the peace of the early morning. (Mary Mclellan)
Sponsored by Coffee: My day usually starts at 7:30 a.m. with coffee and oatmeal. During breakfast, I usually check my email and get organized for the day. (Mary Mclellan)
Online Classes, Alternatively: Hold on! We are trying to get you back into the meeting: On Tuesdays, I have four classes, all online. Genetics is the second class of the day. (Mary Mclellan)
Ode de Toilette: Between my first two classes at 9:45 a.m., I get ready for the rest of my day. Even though I spend most of my day alone, eyeliner is a must. (Mary Mclellan)
Hips Do Lie: It has been a great time to pick up new skills. I chose dance, by way of Youtube inside Mann Hall Studio at 1:30 p.m.. (Mary Mclellan)
Naptime: Before I start homework, I watch a movie for a bit, and take a nap. Here, I was watching “Cosmos: Possible Worlds.” (Mary Mclellan)
Recitation, Genetics: 4:25 p.m. still in my room. Recitation is my final class on Tuesdays. (Mary Mclellan)
Campus by day, campus by night: 7:15 p.m. I didn’t get out much, but when I did, it was very cold.
(Mary Mclellan)
Dinner: On Tuesdays, I get a burrito from New World Tortilla at 7:30 p.m.. My favorite is bean and cheese. (Mary Mclellan)
Homework, homework: Usually, I do homework from 8:00 p.m. to 11:00 p.m.. This time, I worked on organic chemistry and cell biology.
Shower time: I think that my suitemates are getting a little tired of my shower playlist. There are only so many times you can listen to me sing the same 10 or so songs. (Mary Mclellan)
Winding down: Before I go to bed, I turn off all screens and spend some time reading. I picked up this book on a whim. The book is called “Gideon the Ninth” by Tamsyn Muir and it’s about lesbian necromancers in space. (Mary Mclellan)
Cat: Bedtime. My stuffed cat, Snowflake, whom I have had since I can remember, got her own photoshoot at 1:00 a.m.. (Mary Mclellan)