Eric Scharf

Vermont earned a 52-51 win over Long Island University on Dec. 3.

Richason’s game-winner lifts Vermont over LIU

December 12, 2021

With 5.1 seconds on the clock, junior forward Delaney Richason’s layup lifted Vermont to a 52-51 win over Long Island University on Dec. 3.

After squandering a 16-point halftime lead, the Catamounts recovered to earn their third win in their first four home games. UVM improved to 3-4 overall while LIU fell to 0-8.

“It was a gritty win for our program and a step in the right direction to help us learn how to finish games,” Head Coach Alisa Kresge said. “We fought through some second-half adversity and still found a way to win.”

LIU guard Emaia O’Brien’s layup gave the Sharks the lead with 1:34 remaining before Richason’s game-winning layup. Forward Erykah Russell had a chance to win it for LIU as time expired but her shot went wide.

Vermont took control of the game early, taking a 19-3 lead. They led 32-12 midway through the second quarter. Graduate guard Josie Larkins scored 12 points in the opening half. First-year guard Bella Vito added a career-high six points.

The Catamounts led by 20 in the second quarter and held a 36-20 lead at halftime, but the Sharks stormed back in the second half, tying the game in the third quarter and taking their first lead late in the fourth quarter.

LIU began the third quarter on a 17-1 run to tie the game at 37 points before the Catamounts regained their advantage to lead 41-39 entering the fourth quarter.

The Sharks took their first lead of the game on forward Kiara Bell’s layup with 3:44 remaining. Bell led LIU with 14 points. 

Vermont regained the lead seconds later when sophomore forward Anna Olson converted a three-point play to give UVM a 50-49 lead. Olson led the Catamounts with 17 points and added three rebounds and two assists.

Trailing by one point with nine seconds left, UVM inbounded the ball from underneath LIU’s basket. Larkins inbounded the ball to Richason, who drove into the lane and scored with her left hand to give UVM the victory.

After defeating Loyola University Chicago 72-62 on Dec. 5 and Dartmouth College 64-46 on Dec. 8, the Catamounts are now 5-4.