Cynic fit check: SpringFest

Jolley+wears+an+outfit+from+Urban+Outfitters.+
Maggie O’Shea
Jolley wears an outfit from Urban Outfitters.

UVM students showed up to SpringFest 2024 dressed in their best outfits on 4/20 to see Peach Pit, Snail Mail and Armanodillo perform on the Fleming green. 

Leah Jolley is a first-year business major. 

CYNIC: Can you give me a full fit check?

JOLLEY: “Both my top and my pants are from Urban Outfitters, I’m wearing green cargo pants and this white long-sleeve crop top. I’m not wearing any jewelry, unfortunately, but my shoes are from Asics.” 

CYNIC: Do you think your personal style has changed at all since coming to UVM? 

JOLLEY: “I get nervous about wearing all my jewelry sometimes, and I feel like now I’m so good with wearing a ton of jewelry, but I forgot today.” 

CYNIC: What is your favorite thing that you are wearing? 

JOLLEY: “I think my pants, ‘cause they are green and just like fun.” 

Baral painted her shirt for the performers. (Maggie O’Shea)

Amaya Baral is a first-year environmental studies major. 

BARAL: “My top […] was a t-shirt from Michaels, but I cut it up and I bleach painted it, and it’s like a peach with a pit, and then there’s snails on the sides, for Snail Mail and Peach Pit. And then my pants are from Aliexpress. My necklace is from America’s Mart. My shoes are from Target.” 

BARAL: “Most definitely, yeah. I feel like I need to dress up for more, just like going out.” 

BARAL: “I like the top, because I made it like a few hours ago.” 

Baral shows off a large dragonfly necklace.
(Maggie O’Shea)

Anna Iacobucci is a first-year biology major. 

IACOBUCCI: “My top is from Abercrombie, my jeans are from American Eagle and my shoes are Nikes. [Jewelry is from] TJMaxx.” 

IACOBUCCI: “Maybe a little bit. I think people here dress more than they did in my high school, so less sweatpants, more actual dressing.” 

IACOBUCCI: “Probably my shirt.” 

Iacobucci wears a classic white tee. (Maggie O’Shea)

Caitlin Applebee is a first-year environmental studies and film double major.  

APPLEBEE: “Yeah, so this flannel, it’s like an L.L. Bean flannel I stole it from my dad before I left for college. One time, I was wearing it to my friend’s house and her dad was wearing the same exact one. This shirt, I don’t know where it came from, it just appeared. These pants, I got from Urban Outfitters. I’m wearing DocMartens. I got them for Christmas.” 

APPLEBEE: “No, I kinda wear the same outfit every day, it’s the same outfit I’ve been wearing for the past few years. I’m kinda like a cartoon character. I wore this like yesterday.” 

APPLEBEE: “Probably the flannel, ’cause I got it from my dad.” 

Applebee shows off their “cartoon character’ outfit. (Maggie O’Shea)

Alex Strand is a first-year biological sciences major with a minor in reporting and documentary storytelling. 

STRAND: “I’m wearing this sweater, which I thrifted my first year [of high school] and I wasn’t cool enough to wear it, so now I wear it, but it was a while that I didn’t. I’m wearing this tiny top from Urban Outfitters, it’s green, in spirit of the day. I have a red thong on, ‘cause it adds to the fit. I got these big thrifted jeans also from first year […] and then I got red low top DocMartens. My necklace my mom gave me, and her boss gave it to her. My earrings are from the Jewish museum in Poland.” 

Strand shows off red Doc-Martens. (Maggie O’Shea)

STRAND: “I think I’ve just become a stronger version of my existing style, but also I only put work into fits like twice a week here, so it makes it easier. My fits are better, I’d say.” 

STRAND: “This sweater, because it feels like it tells a story.”

Strand dawns a thrifted sweater. (Maggie O’Shea)