Sophomore dies unexpectedly

A sophomore in the College of Agriculture and Life Sciences died unexpectedly May 17, according to an email from Vice Provost Annie Stevens.

William Wright Parkinson, a community entrepreneurship major, was from Winnetka, Illinois, the email stated.

“We extend our deepest condolences to William’s family,” Stevens stated in the email. “Our sincere thoughts of care and sympathy are also extended to William’s friends and to faculty and staff who were close to him.”

Senior Ray Stebbins said he met Parkinson when he was thinking of joining a fraternity.

“He was very nice and outgoing when coming to see what AGR was all about,” said Stebbins, a member of the Alpha Gamma Rho fraternity. “I thought he was a very friendly and personable kid, who would have made a great addition to the house.”

Although Parkinson never joined the fraternity, Stebbins said he was an adventurous and free spirited student.

The family held a memorial service for Parkinson May 21 at Christ Church in Winnetka, Illinois, according to the email.

In lieu of flowers, the family is requesting that donations be made to Erika’s Lighthouse, 897 Green Bay Road, Winnetka, Illinois 60093 or Sterling College, P.O. Box 72, Craftsbury, Vermont, 05827, according to the email.