Cat basketball tips off season

With Catamount Tip-Off, the public got their first look at the 2011-2012 men’s and women’s basketball teams.

First impressions of first-year Four McGlynn are simply put, impressive. He won the three-point contest convincingly by scoring 21 baskets in the first 60-second round and 17 in the final.

The women’s team began the event with a 20-minute scrimmage. The white squad played well early, holding a lead for the first 14 minutes. Solid play inside by junior Lauren Buschmann for green got them back in the game.

Green took the lead with about three minutes to go and held on to win 23-22 despite a strong finish by first-year Niki Taylor for white.

Despite a sloppy start with four consecutive turnovers, the men’s team’s scrimmage was a matchup of defenses. McGlynn, on the white squad, got scoring started with a floater in the lane, followed by layup a few possessions later.

Junior Ben Crenca played outstandingly for green, providing a presence inside and converting several and-ones. Both teams focused on defense, practicing traps and trap breaks as the game concluded. Green took the scrimmage 26-16.

The five-minute coed scrimmage was an entertaining unscored game highlighted by sophomore Tonya Conley scoring over fellow sophomore Brian Voelkel.

The dunk contest concluded the day’s events. Three former Catamount players acted as judges as senior Pat Bergmann and sophomore Clancy Rugg tied. Rugg gave himself a bounce pass off the wall for his dunk.

Bergmann caught a pass for a first dunk, hung on the rim and caught another ball for a second dunk before coming down.

The men’s basektball team has been picked third in the preseason coaches’ poll behind BU and Stony Brook.

Last season the team won the regular season America East Championshp before losing in the conference semifinals.

When asked about the team’s goals at the team’s anual preseason media day, Becker addressed the fact that the team’s play in the postseason must match that of the regular season.

“We want to be in a position to play our best basketball in March and have a chance to win the America East tournament,” Becker said. “Every drill, each day in practice and every game we play, we want to be the best that we can be.”

Both teams open their seasons with an exhibition game on Oct. 29 against Saint Michael’s College starting at 1 p.m. at Patrick Gym.