Catamount Sports Summer Catch- Up

Men’s Basketball

UVM’s men’s basketball program recruited first-years Dre Wills and Naasir William for the 2013-14 season. “Dre is a tough, athletic combo guard,” coach John Becker said. “His skill set will compliment our returning back court players.”

“Defensively he has a chance to be an elite defender and offensively he should be able to get into the lane where he can make plays for himself and others.” Wills comes from Indianapolis, Ind. and spent a year at Mercersburg Academy in Pennsylvania.

“We feel fortunate to get a person and player of Nas’ (William) caliber as a walk-on. He will push Josh (Elbaum) and Troy (Davine) and can also knock down shots which we need,” Becker said.

The team also added 6’6 forward Kurt Steidl from Ridgefield High School in Connecticut.

The Catamounts finished the 2012-13 campaign with a 21-12 record. Vermont also returns all five starters and six seniors to the squad. Hector Harold and Ryan Pierson will be eligible this year.

Former Catamount Marqus Blakely played for the Minnesota Timberwolves’ Summer League program.

Cross Country

The men’s cross country team earned the Division I Public Recognition Award from the NCAA for the third straight season.

Senior Ethan McBrien represented UVM on the America East All-Academic Team and was also an all-conference performer in 2012.

Seniors Kaleigh Wood and J.J. Newland were awarded the 2013 America East CFES Service Award at the league’s annual meeting in Portland, Maine.

Wood and Newland were named winners of the Jeff Stone Memorial Award handed out at UVM Athletics’ annual Rally Awards.

The honor recognizes exceptional contributions by a male and female student-athlete, in any class, in the area of community service and campus leadership. Wood served as a staff member of the UVM Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, Transgender and ALLY Center and helped spearhead a movement to create an inclusive climate on campus.

Men’s Hockey

Coach Kevin Sneddon announced that 11 new players will join the team this year including six forwards, three defensemen and two goaltenders. Assistant Coaches Kyle Wallack and Kevin Patrick recruited the new players.

The class features Brendan Bradley (Richboro, Pa.); Patrick Feeley (Winthrop, Mass.); Thomas Forgione (South Burlington, Vt.); Robert Hamilton (Calgary, Alberta); Malcolm McKinney (West Vancouver, B.C.); Chris Muscoby (Airdrie, Alberta); Mario Puskarich (Fort Walton Beach, Fla.); Bradley Ryan (Mississauga, Ontario); Michael Santaguida (Mississauga, Ontario); Brady Shaw (Ottawa, Ontario); and Michael Stenerson (Surrey, B.C.).

“We have added depth and competition in every position on our roster,” added Sneddon. “We felt we took a step forward last year by improving the culture within our program.”

“Step two was to increase our talent level and our competition for playing time. Now we will focus on the development and team cohesion of this group as we strive for excellence. We are very excited about this class and look forward to their arrival in August.”123