Catamounts stay hungry for season wins

UVM women’s soccer has had a tough season this year.

With a 3-6-1 record, the Catamounts are hungry to get some more wins under their belt.

On Sept. 18 women’s soccer lost in double overtime against Siena College.

Senior Brittany Pfaff netted a hat trick to lead the Siena Saints to a 3-2 victory in double overtime against Vermont in this non-conference match-up.

The Catamounts got an early lead courtesy of first-year Caitie Green who recorded her first career goal on an unassisted play in the fifth minute.

Siena made it an even scoring game with a goal from Pfaff in the 74th minute. Shortly after, Green gave Vermont a 2-1 lead by heading in a ball from Senior Alexa DeMaio.

Pfaff found the equalizer again in the 81st minute for Siena, tying the game. Neither team could get a goal in the final minutes of regulation or the first 10 minute overtime period. In the second overtime, Pfaff netted her third goal of the game and eighth of the season.

The Cats returned to Virtue Field on Friday, Sept. 20 to tie 1-1 against Fairleigh Dickinson University. FDU took an early lead in the 12th minute courtesy of sophomore Amanda Goulet from just inside the penalty box.

Vermont junior Bre Pletnick evened the score up in the 79th minute. FDU’s Carly Tice streaked down the center of the field on a breakaway and sealed the win. Sophomore Ally Ramos finished the game with three stops for Vermont.

Sept. 22 the UVM women’s soccer team took to Virtue Field to defeat Bryant University 2-1. First-year Alex Jenkins scored her first career goal from an assist by junior Alexandra Dezenzo in the 12th minute which gave Vermont an early lead.

Bryant’s equalizing shot by Ari Goldberg in the 38th minute was short lived. UVM first- year Nikki McFarland shot from just inside the penalty box and her second career goal proved to be the game winner. Head coach Kristi Lefebvre was happy to get a win after a couple of tough games. “I think we played well, we still had some breakdowns where they got in and Ally had to come up big for us,” said Lefebvre.

Ramos had a great game with 11 saves. “Today was really important because for the last couple of games we’ve had way too many opportunites and haven’t capitalized on them and I think to we finally were just able to finish them and put them away,” Ramos said.

The Vermont women’s soccer team opened up the America East Conference and hosted Stony Brook, the defending America East Champions on Sunday Sept. 29 at 1 p.m. at Virtue Field.

After playing through scoreless soccer in the first 45 minutes of the match, Queli Ornelas put the Seawolves up 1-0 in the 55th minute. Vermont evened the score in the 62nd minute. First- year Caitie Green fed the ball to Bre Pletnick inside the penalty box and Pletnick finished it off.

The Seawolves answered 14 minutes later. Vermont had several scoring chances in the game, especially in the final minutes.

Vermont will make its way to UMass Lowell Thursday Oct. 3. The game will kickoff at 7 p.m. The Catamounts return home to host Maine Oct. 6 as part of UVM’s Homecoming & Reunion Weekend. The game begins at 1 p.m.