Colgate men’s hockey beats UVM on home ice

UVM+men%E2%80%99s+hockey+faced+off+against+Colgate+on+Oct.+8+and+9.+

Mary McLellan

UVM men’s hockey faced off against Colgate on Oct. 8 and 9.

Colgate University (2-0-0) men’s hockey defeated UVM (0-1-0) at the Gutterson Fieldhouse with a final score of 5-3 on Oct. 8.

The Raiders dominated the first period. Their skaters had 14 shots at net and made sharp passes to evade Catamount attempts to forecheck and win the puck. Vemont attempted a comeback in the third, but Colgate goaltender Carter Gylander made saves and stifled that attempt.

Following a power play goal by senior defenseman Robbie Stucker just over two minutes into the first, forwards Ben Raymond and Josh McKechney and defenseman Nick Anderson netted goals for the Raiders.

In the second period, the Cats continued to give away power plays and looks at the net to Colgate, often drawing winces from the student section.

Colgate built a 5-1 lead in the second, courtesy of goals by forwards Colton Young and Josh McKechney, and junior goaltender Gabe Carriere’s allowance of two long shots into the goal. 

Vermont approached their defense differently in the third period with more sustained possession. 

Within the first six minutes, UVM junior forward William Lemay scored after receiving a pass from sophomore forward Will Zapernick. 

Approximately 30 seconds later, UVM senior forward Phillip Lagunov scored off of junior forward Jacques Bouquot’s rebounded shot. 

The Cats continued to challenge the Raider defense, getting 22 shots off after the Lagunov goal, but a combination of defensive positioning and timely saves from Gylander guided Colgate to a non-conference victory.