Field hockey drops another

Ê

The UVM field hockey team traveled to the University of Massachusetts, Amherst Sept. 21. No. 25 Massachusetts beat the Catamounts 10-1,  leaving  Vermont out 0-8.

Ê

The Minutewomen scored nine unanswered goals until sophomore Ashley McDonald scored her first career goal on a breakaway on the right side 61 minutes into the game.

Ê

Junior Stephanie Zygmunt made five saves for the Catamounts.  She is currently ranked fifth in the nation with 10 saves per game. Junior Lyndsey Whittaker made her season debut, playing the last 15:52 of the game.

Ê

Vermont was outshot 26-3 in the loss, as Massachusetts held a 14-5 edge in penalty corners. UMass now holds a 12-2 edge in the all-time series against the Catamounts.

Ê

Ê

Thando Zono of Massachusetts scored two goals and added two assists as the Minutewomen improved to 4-5 on the season. They scored three times in the first 5:33, and had a 6-0 lead by halftime.

Ê

After playing seven of their first eight games on the road, the Catamounts will be headed home.  Four of the next five games will be played at home with a game against Siena on Sunday at 1 p.m. The Saints are 0-4 this season, and the Catamounts are 11-1 all-time against the Saints.

Ê

On Sept. 16, Vermont lost to St. Francis 4-0 when Stephanie Zygmunt made nine saves.  On Sept. 15, the Catamounts lost to Lock Haven University 4-1.  Alana Izzo scored the only goal of the game in the loss to the Lady Eagles.

Ê

Vermont was picked to finish sixth in the 2012 America East Preseason Coaches’ Poll released by the conference on Aug. 17.  The Catamounts begin America East play Sept. 29, when they host the Maine Black Bears and will look to salvage their season and vie for an America East playoff bid.

Ê

Four teams will qualify for the 2012 America East Championship, which will be played at the highest seed on Nov. 2 and 4. The league champion will receive an automatic bid to the NCAA Field Hockey Championship.