Hockey captain is named

With two mens hockey seniors pursuing NHL careers and the departure of its three-year captain, the team has named a new leader for the upcoming season.

Filling the leadership void that seniors H.T. Lenz and Chris McCarthy have left, head coach Kevin Sneddon and his team unanimously selected incoming senior Mike Paliotta to become the team’s next captain for the 2014-2015 season.

“Mike’s maturity as a player and as a leader led to his unquestioned election by his peers and our coaching staff,” Sneddon said.

The exit of the former captains leaves the program with a void that needs to be filled, but Paliotta said he is not nervous.

“It’s an honor to know all my teammates have faith in me,” he said. “I’m just excited for the opportunity to be myself because that’s why the guys voted for me.”

Paliotta said the way Lenz and McCarthy pushed the team to “new levels” has inspired him.

“Mike has been great to play with and has pushed me to be better all the time and I think he will do a good job of leading by example,” first-year defensemen Rob Hamilton said.

Hamilton played alongside Paliotta for most of the year.

“There was no one more deserving with his combination of work ethic and character,” Lenz said. “I’m really looking forward to seeing Mike lead the team to success next season.”