Men’s basketball falls late

Patrick Gym as the now 6-1 Harvard University Crimson topped the Catamounts men’s basketball team Nov. 6.

The 4-4 Catamounts kept it close until the end and were tied with the Crimson at the beginning of the second half.

The game went into double overtime, in which the Crimson scored 14 points and the Catamounts’ scored two, to end the night with a final of 64-52.

Vermont’s largest lead of the night came at the middle of the first half when the Cats led by eight points.

Senior forward and captain Hector Harold, led the team in scoring with 12 points, but the Catamounts still could not overcome the Crimson.

“It was a great college basketball atmosphere, unfortunately we couldn’t pull it out,” head coach John Becker said according to UVM Athletics.

“Free throw shooting caught up with us and too many minutes for some guys.”

Vermont’s next time on the court will place them against the 2-5 Wagner College Seahawks at Patrick Gym at 1:00 p.m.  Dec. 14.

After having lost to Wagner in a close game during the 2013-14 season, they hope to turn it around against the Seahawks this year.

Shortly following the game against Wagner, the Catamounts will face the Yale University Bulldogs on Dec. 18, ending their 4 game streak of home games.

The Catamounts are 3-1 at home, and except for the recent loss against Harvard, they might be able to add to that record with a couple of wins before they head to Missouri to face the Saint Louis University Billikens Dec. 21.

With a win, the Catamounts could move over .500 on the season. It has been done before.

Last season they started their first six games at 1-5 and then ended the season at 22-11, according to UVM Athletics.