Men’s lacrosse team uses strong defense to snag win

Ryan Kiel-Zabel

Sophomore Ben French and freshman Liam Limoges double-team an opposing player in the UVM Lacrosse 14-7 win against UMass Lowell. French and Limoges scored scored 4 and 5 goals each respectively.

Locria Courtright, Assistant Sports Editor

The Catamounts improved to 10-1 on the season, their first double-digit win season since 1997, according to UVM athletics.

The No. 14 Catamounts defeated the University of Massachusetts Lowell River Hawks 14-7 April 7.

Prior to the game, UVM athletics held a ceremony honoring the alumni and students who participated in the 2018 Winter Olympics.

First-year skier Connor Wilson and gold-winning women’s hockey player Amanda Pelkey ’15 held a meet-and-greet.

The Catamounts kept the entertainment going on the field, scoring the first five goals of the game.

First-year attacker Liam Limoges scored two goals, while junior midfielder Braiden Davis, junior attacker Dawes Milchling and sophomore attacker Ben French added one each.

The visitors managed to score before the end of the first quarter, but sophomore midfielder Liam Rischmann answered, giving Vermont a 6-1 lead after one quarter.

The River Hawks scored early in the quarter.

Vermont responded with four straight goals — two each from Limoges and French — to extend the lead to 10-2.

UMass Lowell went on its best run, scoring two goals before halftime and scoring the first goal of the third quarter to cut it to 10-5.

UVM responded with two more goals, one each from Limoges and French, with the latter coming on a man-up situation, and went into the fourth with a 12-5 lead.

The River Hawks cut it to five once again with a pair of man-up goals from Jon Phillips, but UVM responded with the final two goals of the game from junior attacker Jack Knight and sophomore midfielder Robb Hudson.

Head coach Chris Feifs was impressed with his team’s ability to dominate even when not playing at its best, as the Cats turned the ball over 17 times.

“We left a lot out there on the field, a lot of self-inflicted wounds,” Feifs said. “We gotta keep our discipline for 60 minutes.”

Sophomore goalkeeper Nick Washuta finished the game with eight saves, while UMass Lowell’s tandem of Hunter Braun and Grant Lardieri finished with a combined 11.

“Our defense is really good, and our offense has been clicking too,” Limoges said. “I’m proud of our guys, we’re playing really well.”