No. 12 Catamounts rock UMass, fall to UConn

Despite suffering a 2-1 loss to the University of Connecticut Nov. 21, Vermont’s win over UMass-Amherst set a school record for the largest margin of victory in Division I men’s hockey history.

First-year forward Anthony Petruzzelli scored the lone goal in the Cats’ loss against the Huskies. Sophomore goaltender Mike Santaguida dropped to 2-2-0 on the year, taking the loss.

A stop in Amherst, Massachusetts Nov. 22 on the way back to Burlington proved much more rewarding. A strong offensive output saw Vermont blow right past the Minutemen by a score of 11-1.

Sophomores Malcolm McKinney and Brady Shaw each registered two goals as the Cat’s power play scored three times on four opportunities in the game.

The lone UMass-Amherst goal was scored short-handed by Ben Gallacher in the second period. Junior goalie Brody Hoffman earned the win in the start.

“We played a full 60 minute game as opposed to what we did against UConn,” Coach Kevin Sneddon said. “Tuesday [in Burlington against UMass-Amherst] will be a much different game as we have to keep our guard up for that.”

Sneddon’s words proved to be true. The game on Nov. 25 was first game this season to be televised on NESN.

Senior forward Colin Markison tapped home a rebound from a shot from the point by first-year Mario Puskarich’s just over 40 seconds in, but the Minutemen controlled the tempo for the rest of the first period.

In the second period the story changed. First-year Jarrid Privitera scored a breakaway goal early, followed by senior Mike Paliotta’s power-play goal later in the period.

UMass-Amherst did not score until the last minute of play in the game with their goaltender pulled.

Hoffman earned his second win in two games as the Cats took four out of six points in their weekend series with the Huskies and Minutemen.

“I don’t know if that was our best game but we certainly found a way to win,” Sneddon said of the second game against UMass-Amherst.

The Catamounts travel to Orono, Maine for a two-game road series against the University of Maine Nov. 28.