UVM skis to second place

The men and women of the varsity ski team have yet again earned success on the national stage.

The team clenched second place overall in the 2014 NCAA Skiing Championships in Park City, Utah March 8.

In first place was the University of Denver with 556 points, followed by https://www.uvm.eduUVM with 487.5 points.

The University of New Mexico trailed and last yearÕs winner, University of Colorado, took fourth place.

The host of the event, University of Utah, came in fifth.

Nine athletes on the ski team received All-American honors, while earning top-10 finishes.

ÒIf we do not do exceptionally well on something we strive to do better the next time,Ó senior Kate Ryley said.

Ryley said she believes that it is the teamÕs determination that has caused them to excel, and be continually competitive.

ÒWhen the goal has been set at this level it gives the team something to strive for,Ó Weaver said.

ÒThe skiers who come here know they can get better and we attract athletes who want to get better,Ó he said.

Senior Anja Gruber finished strong in the 5k classic Nordic race, winning her second consecutive NCAA championship title in this event.

Nordic head coach Patrick Weaver said he was impressed with GruberÕs finish.

ÒWinning once is hard enough and to come back and repeat was really amazing to be a part of,Ó he said.

UVM dominated the womenÕs slalom, clenching all spots on the podium.

Prior to this win, only one team had ever swept the podium in an alpine event in the NCAA skiing championships.

Junior Kristina Riis-Johannessen claimed her first ever NCAA title, achieving second place the past two years. Ryley followed in second, with junior Elise Tefre in third.

On the menÕs side of the alpine events, Catamount senior Jonathan Nordbotten placed third in the slalom race.

ÒMy college races were a little bit up and down,Ó Nordbotten said.

Discussing his performance internationally, Nordbotten said, ÒI had better results in the World Cup races when I represented my national team [Norway].Ó

ÒI was really close to making the Norwegian Olympic team which would be really cool,Ó he said.