Virtue Field expanded with new renovation

UVM sports fans and athletes alike have something new to look forward to when they enter Virtue Field this year.

The days of standing on the sidelines to catch a game are officially over and a new era of sitting comfortably, except after a Catamount goal, is ushered in as the University unveils the new Virtue Field stadium.

Nearing completion after construction began in mid-May, the renovated seating grandstand and press box offer a new look and service to the Catamount community.

The grandstand, which runs almost the entire length of Virtue Field, boasts 16 rows of bleachers and a seating capacity of 2,500 people.

Located at the top of the grandstand is a spacious press box that includes five new speakers, separate hospitality and media areas, along with two camera platforms for improved game play filming, courtesy of UVM Media Relations and Sports Information.

When asked about the new stadium, men’s soccer captain, senior midfielder Jackson Dayton, said he is excited to see a larger student presence at games in addition to a strong local fanbase.

Before the grandstand, “fans were asked to basically stand on the side of the field, which [made] it hard to see what [was] going on,” Dayton said.

“The grandstand provides a better view of the field and makes watching games far more enjoyable.”

Dayton also recognized the recruiting advantages the stadium poses, and thinks the additions will help attract better athletes to UVM for years to come, he said.

Sophomore Danny Kastner said his favorite part of the stadium is the grandstand, which helps “make the stadium look a lot bigger and better.”

As a former soccer player and current fan, Kastner said he remembers “it was always fun to play in front of a lot of people,” and looks forward “to seeing more people come out to support all the teams.”

He said the teams using the field certainly “earned [the stadium],” with the repeated success of Catamount teams over the past few years.

While Virtue Field has come a long way in terms of improvements, the work is not yet done as “Phase Three” of the project is set to begin next summer.

Phase Three aims to add a separate building to Virtue Field which will house gameday locker rooms, bathrooms and concessions, according to UVM Media Relations and Sports Information.