Women’s lacrosse falls to UAlbany 17-7

Chelsea Thatcher
UVM women’s lacrosse loses to UAlbany 17-7 Mar. 24.

After being delayed two separate times due to heavy snow, women’s lacrosse played their first home divisional match against the UAlbany Great Danes on March 24.

The women’s squad opened their season with a four game winning streak, and returned back to campus with a 6-3 record after defeating the UNH Wildcats in their home stadium, where graduate midfielder Ava Vasile put up a seven goal performance.

However, like the weather that delayed the game, Vermont’s offense started out cold. While UAlbany managed to put up seven goals in the first quarter, UVM didn’t manage to get a single shot on goal.

Vasile was able to get the Catamounts on the scoreboard in the second quarter, scoring an unassisted goal to make the score 9-1 in the early minutes of the period.

But UAlbany’s offense didn’t stumble one bit. Powered by a five goal day for midfielder Grace McCauley, the Great Danes were able to outscore UVM in each of the four periods.

First-year attacker Karina Sethi and sophomore attacker Jane Trauger were each able to turn in two goals on the day, but it wasn’t enough to overcome the deficit set in the first period as the Catamounts lost 17-7.

The women’s squad gets to face another divisional opponent on Virtue Field this coming Saturday, as they face the Binghamton Bearcats on March 30.