Women’s lacrosse loses fourth straight in close match against UMBC

Elizabeth Smith
UVM women’s lacrosse loses 21-10 against UMBC April 13.

The UVM women’s lacrosse team returned home to Virtue Field Saturday, April 13 to face the UMBC Golden Retrievers.

Sophomore attacker Jane Trauger opened the scoring in the first two minutes of play to give the Cats an early advantage. UMBC quickly responded with two goals of their own before Trauger evened the score herself, notching the equalizing goal in the bottom right corner of the UMBC net with just under four minutes left in the first quarter.

With the clock nearing zero, UMBC attacker Kolby Weedon buried a go-ahead goal to put UMBC in front to conclude the first period. Vermont’s first-year midfielder Lydia Doraz tied the game at 3-3 shortly after.

The Retrievers soon took a 5-3 advantage with just over four minutes remaining in the second quarter. Just under a minute later, Vermont clawed back within one of UMBC on a left-handed shot by graduate midfielder Ava Vasile.

After the half, UMBC exploded with a five-goal run that put the Retrievers comfortably in the lead for the rest of the game. Trailing by six in the second quarter, Trauger clinched a hat trick with her third goal of the season.

Vasile also added to her performance, making the score 11-6 with her second goal of the game. With the Cats down five goals in the final minute of play, Truager completed her efficient performance with a fourth goal to bring the final score to 11-7.

Vasile, who is in her fifth season with Vermont, now sits just one goal away from tying Sydney Mast for the most goals in the program’s history.

With a 1-4 conference record, Vermont finds themselves ranked No. 6 in the division, ahead of UNH with no wins. The Catamounts hope to right the ship on Wednesday while hosting Le Moyne College in a non-conference matchup at Virtue Field.