A ‘finale’ review

This week?s episode of ?Girls? marks the end of one of the most narratively choppy seasons for a comedy in quite a while. To be honest, it?s sometimes hard to know whether we should still be referring to the show as a ?comedy? when it?s been dealing with such dark things as Hannah?s OCD and depression.Shoshana finally ends it with Ray, triumphantly raising her voice for the first time in the series. She realizes it?s more than her want of Ray to have actual ambition; it?s become burdensome to be the only thing in the world he actually likes. While we feel sorry for Ray, we have to notice that at the end of the episode, when Shoshana starts making out with an adult male blonde in a bar, that she?s actually the most confident and seems to be in the best place of any of the Girls. With Marnie and Hannah, the theme for the episode could very well be manipulation. Marnie once again thinks she?s dating a guy with whom she?s just casually sleeping with, confirming her consistent delusions born out of vanity. She manipulates Charlie semi-publicly into proclaiming his love for her, undoubtedly because he?s become successful. Had he done this last season she would have found it humiliating. When she later goes to check in on Hannah, I fully expected her to blabber to her massively bent-out-of-shape ?best friend? about her new luck in love, but thankfully she didn?t. Hannah tries to generate empathy from everyone in her life?a diminishing number of people?in lieu of actually writing her book over which she will be sued if she doesn?t turn in some pages. Hannah?s dormancy is only exacerbated by her OCD. She finally gets around to desecrating her own hair, which she attempted back in episode two, but this time Adam doesn?t get there in time to stop her. When he does come rescue her at the end?a trope I have a feminist critique of, but let?s be real, this girl needs some rescuing?in a beautifully shot running sequence complete with Adam?s all too familiar shirtlessness, it?s hard to feel like the heroism placed upon him is completely deserved. I would rather have Hannah found solace in one of the other Girls. The show is at its best when they?re together, which sadly hasn?t happened for a while now. But it does say something that she felt safe enough to tell him about her past troubles with OCD, and that he not only remembered but also recognized the resurfacing. Like Hannah was once telling her therapist, I don?t know whether Adam is the best person in the world or the worst. After the horrendous episode with girlfriend Nat last week?who is still with him, apparently?he?s definitely not the best. Which is one thing to love about ?Girls?: we don?t know what to think about anyone. With a third season already in the works, perhaps the only thing we can expect is an even more conflicting view of the characters.