Aesop rocks HG crowd

The lights dimmed down low as DJ Big Wiz took his place behind the mixing table against the back wall of the Higher Ground stage Feb. 15.The projection screen backdrop lit up as the words Aesop Rock were scrawled out in red. The crowd roared; For many fans, this show had been a long time coming.Aesop Rock is the stage name of veteran hip-hop artist Ian Bavitz. Highly acclaimed for his complex lyrical content and diverse subject matter, Aesop has released six full-length studio albums, with his most recent, Skelethon, debuting last year.Having originally scheduled his concert at Higher Ground for last November, the devastation caused by Hurricane Irene forced him to cancel the date, along with a slew of shows in other affected areas. A devoted artist, Aesop rescheduled the shows that the hurricanes unfortunate impact had made impossible.Before he even took the to stage, the crowd buzzed with energy, having just heard the inventive beats and spitfire rapping of the opening act, a Los Angeles hip-hop artist by the name of Busdriver.When Aesop emerged from backstage, accompanied by fellow MC and collaborator Rob Sonic, his fans exploded.The duo immediately broke into the song Leisureforce as video clips of Aesops cat played on the projection screen in the background.With the crowd bouncing and the bass thumping, line after line spilled out of the speakers on newer tracks like Homemade Mummy and deeper cuts like None Shall Pass.It was not long until the whole room joined in on Aesops brand of elaborate, socially-reflective poetry.[It was] reckless, masterful and brilliant, said Kyle Costigan of UNH. The delivery, the timing, the signature [is unique]. He can take a really off-putting beat and make it completely insane.Taking a break, Aesop and Rob Sonic decided to incorporate the audiences in an unconventional segment called Tour Cuts.While Aesop and Rob performed Racing Stripes, a volunteer was called onto the stage and into Busdrivers clipper-holding embrace. The audience applauded in approval upon the reveal of Busdrivers handiwork: two cleanly-shaven lines running across the fans head, resembling a cross.Eccentric intermissions aside, the show featured an eclectic range of material, including both Aesops and Rob Sonics solo work, as well as songs from their hip-hop collaboration, Hail Mary Mallon.Toward the end of the set, Aesop handed the show over to DJ Big Wiz, who flashed his mixing skills, building beats from scratch for the whole audience to rock out to. As the night neared to a close, Aesop turned to the audience to decide how the show should end. With the people having spoken, he finished up with a blistering remix of No rEgrets and the fervently requested anti-authoritarian anthem Pigs.Before leaving the stage, Aesop expressed his gratitude to the packed ballroom. The crowd applauded in return, saluting the artist whose dedication turned a show that almost never was into a truly raucous occasion.