Comedy and controversy mingle in ‘Sausage Party’

Childish humor, drugs and sex make “Sausage Party” a typical irreverent comedy.

Seth Rogen’s depraved animation, “Sausage Party,” tells the story of anthropomorphic food in a grocery store. The groceries consider shoppers as gods who will take them to the “Great Beyond,” until they learn the horrifying truth.

As the movie unfolds, Frank (Seth Rogen) seeks to unravel the mystery of what really happens in the Great Beyond, after a returned jar of mustard gives him a cryptic warning before committing suicide.

He is accompanied by his girlfriend, a shy hot dog bun named Brenda (Kristen Wiig), a bagel named Sammy (Edward Norton), a lavash — a type of flatbread — named Kareem (David Krumholtz), and a taco named Teresa (Salma Hayek).

Peppered beneath the raunchy comedy is more meaningful commentary.

Religious fervor, anti-Semitism, racism and homophobia are explored. Stereotypes are exploited for laughter, while also being challenged.

The characters’ blind faith in the “Great Beyond” and willful ignorance are a source of consternation for Frank, and the battle for shelf space leads to rivalry between bagels and lavashes.

Supported by a host of talented actors including Jonah Hill, Bill Hader, Michael Cera, Danny McBride, Paul Rudd, Nick Kroll and James Franco, Rogen delivers the raunchy, food-based comedy we didn’t know was possible.

Part comedy, part horror, the movie revels in its self-aware extremes. With huge success at the box office and among critics, “Sausage Party” will be remembered as a signature Rogen film.