Comedy showcase coming this spring

Comedians near and far will be coming to stages around Burlington May 21 through May 25. ?I did some shows in Mexico and everywhere I go, as soon as I check into my hotel room, I immediately hang the ?Do Not Disturb? sign on the door or, for the Spanish speaking, ?No Moleste,?? said Tig Notaro, a comic at this year?s festival.?That was kind of a creepy feeling. Hanging that on my door before bed. ?Nope. No moleste. Not tonight. Try a couple doors down,?? she said. Tig Notaro, Myq Kaplan, Upright Citizen?s Brigade, ImprovBoston and Spark Improv Troupe will be among the more than 100 comedians at the festival, which also includes various UVM student comedians.?I?ve been working with the producers to help make the shows happen,? sophomore Nicole Sisk said. ?I really like making people laugh.? Sisk is not the only performer who is also working behind the scenes. Comedians Nathan Hardwick and his wife Natalie Miller are co-producing and performing at the festival.?It?s fun to do an improv scene with [Natalie] because we know each other so well,? Hardwick said. ?I know where she?s going just from one line or [the] look on her face.? Co-producer Kathleen Kanz started the festival six years ago and brought in Miller and Hardwick in 2011. ?We?re the only ones doing it for a livelihood, so we have to be more excited than is good for us,? Hardwick said. While he and Miller seem to have found their dream job, Sisk said she is less sure of her comedic future.?It?d be fun, it?d be a great way to make a living, but at the same time I like it as a hobby, just a fun thing, and I don?t know if doing it as a career would change that,? she said. The shows at the festival will range from a live recording of the Vermont Improv podcast to themed events, such as the uncensored show ?That?s Just Wrong!? The shows will take place at Burlington venues such as Nectar?s and Club Metronome. Ticket prices range from no charge to $25.