Filed under Arts, Reviews

Film unites American and Russian agents

Set against the backdrop of the 1960s, CIA and KGB agents must put aside their bitter rivalry and work together to overcome a new enemy that is attempting to distribute nuclear weapons to the highest bidder.

“The Man From U.N.C.L.E.” is a stylish, witty spy film that uses clever action sequences and charismatic leads to entertain its audience.

Napoleon Solo (Henry Cavill) is a former thief who uses his unique set of larceny skills as a CIA agent. He is forced to partner up with Ilya Kuryakin (Armie Hammer), a top KGB agent to track their quarry, a mysterious group of arms dealers that threaten to disrupt the balance of power during the Cold War.

Despite the cliché buddy-cop dynamic, the palpable charisma between the two stars creates a rich dynamic that helps to distract from the  reboot of the 1960s TV show.

The added charm of East Berliner Gaby Teller (Alicia Vikander) enriches the conflict by appearing as a foil of the two spies.

Snappy dialogue and comedic conflict frequently lighten the mood of the thriller, and rich characters engage the audience in a uniquely emotional way that makes for a pleasant movie-going experience. The film is visually striking, employing a vibrant color scheme that dazzles the viewer.

The 1960s cars, fashion and music are all wonderfully used to engross the audience and create a stylish feel that is remarkable even for suave spy films.

The action sequences and stunts are well executed and avoid a lazy reliance on CGI. Camera angles are used to help underscore tension or emphasize the action onscreen without becoming distracting.

Director Guy Ritchie is known for his gritty action-comedy movies, including “Snatch,” and the “Sherlock Holmes” franchise. The refined style that permeates “The Man From U.N.C.L.E.” demonstrates his versatility as a director.

While certain elements of the film may feel clichéd, the bold color scheme, witty dialogue, beautiful cinematography and on screen charisma more than make up for any shortcomings.