Film unites American and Russian agents

Set against the backdrop of the 1960s, CIA and KGB agents must put aside their bitter rivalry and work together to overcome a new enemy that is attempting to distribute nuclear weapons to the highest bidder.

“The Man From U.N.C.L.E.” is a stylish, witty spy film that uses clever action sequences and charismatic leads to entertain its audience.

Napoleon Solo (Henry Cavill) is a former thief who uses his unique set of larceny skills as a CIA agent. He is forced to partner up with Ilya Kuryakin (Armie Hammer), a top KGB agent to track their quarry, a mysterious group of arms dealers that threaten to disrupt the balance of power during the Cold War.

Despite the cliché buddy-cop dynamic, the palpable charisma between the two stars creates a rich dynamic that helps to distract from the  reboot of the 1960s TV show.

The added charm of East Berliner Gaby Teller (Alicia Vikander) enriches the conflict by appearing as a foil of the two spies.

Snappy dialogue and comedic conflict frequently lighten the mood of the thriller, and rich characters engage the audience in a uniquely emotional way that makes for a pleasant movie-going experience. The film is visually striking, employing a vibrant color scheme that dazzles the viewer.

The 1960s cars, fashion and music are all wonderfully used to engross the audience and create a stylish feel that is remarkable even for suave spy films.

The action sequences and stunts are well executed and avoid a lazy reliance on CGI. Camera angles are used to help underscore tension or emphasize the action onscreen without becoming distracting.

Director Guy Ritchie is known for his gritty action-comedy movies, including “Snatch,” and the “Sherlock Holmes” franchise. The refined style that permeates “The Man From U.N.C.L.E.” demonstrates his versatility as a director.

While certain elements of the film may feel clichéd, the bold color scheme, witty dialogue, beautiful cinematography and on screen charisma more than make up for any shortcomings.