The best new artist you haven’t heard of: a review of “how many”

Molly+Parkers+illi+for+the+Jake+Minch+EP+review.+A+sketchy+silhouette+with+headphones+on+with+music+notes+floating+around+them.+
Molly Parker
Molly Parker’s illi for the Jake Minch EP review. A sketchy silhouette with headphones on with music notes floating around them.

From the day that I first received a TikTok of Jake Minch’s original song, “id pick up flowers” two years ago, I became a fan.

The video takes place in what I assume to be his bedroom, and he focuses intently while his head rests on his guitar, watching his own fingers pluck at the strings.

I felt completely enamored by the chords and soft strumming while listening to the heart-wrenching lyrics. A song rarely evokes such strong feelings from me on a first listen, but Jake Minch’s music is something special.

At that point in 2022, the song was still unreleased, and Minch had only just begun his career as a songwriter. Today, he has 80.3K monthly listeners on Spotify.

He is radically vulnerable in his lyricism, soft in his tone and voice and incredibly thoughtful with the production of each song.

The tracklist on his debut EP, titled “how many,” captures the emotions that a typical college student or young person may feel as they begin to experience adulthood.

His music is filled with passionate lyrics invoking feelings of nostalgia and bittersweetness while continuously relating to ideas of growing up.

Minch’s music comes as a comfort to those who, like myself, have experienced difficult feelings in the face of change.

In his song “strip mall,” Minch expresses the loss of a relationship by reminiscing about the good times they had together and sharing his feelings on growing up.

“I miss the summer / I hate that I’m old in a dorm now / […] / I loved being younger with you.”

The music is soft and lifting, creating an almost dreamlike feel through the swells of the guitar and backtracks.

Within six songs, Minch explores themes of memory, coming of age, heartbreak and identity.

I know that Jake Minch’s music has brought me more in touch with myself and my emotions, and that his EP has made a significant impact on my life. I started college this year and it has been both daunting and exciting, especially coming from a small, rural town.

“how many” has given me the space and validation to feel the memories of my childhood at the same time that I’m growing up and into myself. Jake Minch provided me with the soundtrack to my own coming-of-age.

I’ve listened to this EP more times than I can count, and its impact never lessens.