Kat Wright prepares for upcoming show and album

Tucked away on the intersection between North Winooski Ave. and Pearl Street is a cozy restaurant and café, sounds of live music radiating through its walls.

This is Radio Bean and on Thursdays at 11:30 p.m. it is filled with the soulful, jazzy music of Kat Wright and the Indomitable Soul Band.

The R&B/soul band has a big sound and is expanding. They play over 200 shows a year and are currently touring New England.

“We hope to make as much of a mark in New England as we can and then we’ll expand on that,” lead singer Kat Wright said. “It’s always cool when we go to the same venue a couple times and people start to recognize you.”

Although Wright said the band hopes to expand their tour she said Burlington will always be a home base for them.

“Burlington is very important to the people I’m playing with now,” Wright said. “We all really like to call Burlington our home. We love the way of life and the people. It’s roots, it’s home.”

Wright said Radio Bean has played a huge role in the band’s success through its community and support.

“You have all these incredible performers, every night,” she said. “No one is interested in getting caught up in the rat race and they’ve all been playing music for years. The people here really appreciate music as an art form.”

Since the release of their self-titled EP, the band has been working on an album they expect to release by the new year, Wright said.

“It’s interesting because we’re a live band so we’re recording the songs live,” she said. “A lot of bands don’t play as many shows and are more studio-based, but we’re the opposite. They’ll add each instrument recording individually but we just play.”

Come see Kat Wright and the Indomitable Soul Band on Thursday nights at Radio Bean.

The band will also be playing a show at Signal Kitchen Nov. 19 at 8 p.m. with Madaila and Disco Phantom. Admission to the show is free.