Maltex displays artwork

?

The Maltex building on Pine Street is much more than an office building.  

Inside the brick interior, the Burlington City Arts center has set up four floors of curated artwork, much like their firehouse gallery.

Between 9 a.m. and 5 p.m., visitors can marvel at a diverse range of mediums and subjects explored by local artists.

In the lobby, several old barn beam sculptures crafted by Janet Van Fleet stand like guards. Like the majority of the work displayed, these sculptures are for sale.

Fleet’s steel cutouts of people also make an appearance throughout the building, suspended from the ceiling.

Each wing of the building is lined with blas?? beige carpeting enlivened by the artistic displays. The expansive floor plan allows for images and forms from multiple artists to be seen in one visit, allowing for a creatively meditative experience. 

Alan Arnold’s acrylic and mixed media on canvas works are exuberant additions to the ground floor displays.

Arnold’s work contains a variety of Picasso-esque images from different cultures, from Asian dragons to tradtional African dance.

The upper floor of the Maltex showcases photographs and paintings with a muted range of color.

Mary Anghelache’s series of pastel orchid paintings pull the viewer deep into a center of soft red and purple petals, adding a warm glow to a narrow, dimly lit hallway.

Elizabeth Nelson’s snowy Vermont landscapes convey the subtlety of the setting sun with its purple embrace reflected in the trees. The paintings are stunningly contrasted against a white brick wall.  

Kristen Watson’s photography captures organic happenings at antique shops and decaying barns on the roadsides of rural Vermont towns. Her photographs depict antique dolls, books and farm tools.

The Maltex building rotates their exhibits semi-annually to showcase a new group of local Vermont artists. For more information, visit the Burlington City Arts website.