New mural to capture the colorful

As any observant Marche-goer could tell you, UVM?s Living and Learning Center is sporting a shiny new mural.Painted by visiting artist and UVM alumnus Sarah Rutherford, the mural depicts a central image of a bird flying out of a bird house, framed by images of a young woman?s face on either side.?There?s a transition from the first black and white image to another portrait of this same girl as a more colorful, fragmented piece. The bird represents her, venturing out into the world from this tree house structure that?s too small,? Rutherford said.Rutherford, now an artist living and working out of Rochester, N.Y., graduated from UVM in 2006. For inspiration for the mural, she said she drew on her experience as a UVM student in the Living and Learning center.?Most students in Living and Learning are 18 or 19 years old. The piece is about leaving high school and leaving home,? Rutherford said. ?It?s kind of about branching out, and putting your voice out in the world, and seeing that the world isn?t as black and white as you think, that it?s a little more fragmented and colorful.?This new mural has since replaced the former El Salvador mural, which had been on L&L?s mural wall for more than 20 years.?I remember the El Salvador mural, I used to walk by it every day,? Rutherford said. ?I lived in Living and Learning and graduated from UVM. I?m not a student anymore, but I still have a sense of the history here.?