‘Snowden’ fails to live up to the drama

Despite featuring some of the fresher names in the film world, “Snowden” is a tired rehashing of an old formula.

The film was directed by Oliver Stone and stars Joseph Gordon-Levitt and Shailene Woodley.

“Snowden” details the professional career of one of America’s most infamous whistleblowers, Edward Snowden.

Even if you didn’t know the details of his 2013 data leaks, you’d have to live under a rock to not know his name.

Edward Snowden worked as a contractor for the National Security Agency. Due to professed moral concerns, he stole a library’s worth of government files and leaked them to the press.

These documents detailed a number of surveillance programs, some of which were later deemed illegal.

The most famous of these programs tracked American emails without warrants. The international backlash to these leaks was immediate, with governments, protestors and nongovernmental organizations immediately expressing their outrage.

To some, Snowden has become a symbol of net neutrality and freedom, a cyber martyr in an age of “Big Brother.”

To others, he is a primadonna who betrayed his country and exaggerated the reach of government surveillance programs.

Whatever you think of Snowden, the movie fails to live up to the real-life drama surrounding him.

Gordon-Levitt plays the role of Edward Snowden, a brilliant young patriot who evolves from red-blooded flag-waver to disenchanted computer genius.

Unfortunately, “Snowden” lacks any noteworthy cinematography, screenwriting or score.

The only notable element is Gordon-Levitt, who depicts an awkward geek perhaps too well.

Aside from Gordon-Levitt’s reasonably solid performance, “Snowden” is a sorely underwhelming movie.